• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birkdale beach and dunes (1 Viewer)

COLG

Here's a few photos that I took over the last couple of days from quite an underrated site .

Attachments

• warbler4.jpg
    warbler4.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 168
  • kestrel9.jpg
    kestrel9.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 129
  • pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 153
  • whitethroat6.jpg
    whitethroat6.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 131
Nice photo's too, of as you say a very underrated area. Southport was my home town,we moved away 20 years ago, it's only a 30 min drive away so i get the chance to visit the coast road for Gulls and Owls and waders. Also good for Twite.

Here's a few more pics taken on Birkdale Dunes including a Willow Warbler , Common Darter dragonfly and a Peacock butterfly.

Attachments

• butterfly.jpg
    butterfly.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 97
  • longtailed tit.jpg
    longtailed tit.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 109
  • warbler 5.jpg
    warbler 5.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 126
  • dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 113
Hi David , Sorry for the delay in responding but I'm in Scotland at the moment .

If you come to Southport via the M62 & M57 you will end up on the A565 Formby bypass. Follow this road until you pass Woodvale Airport on your left and turn left at the next set of traffic lights on to the Coastal Road. Follow this road through the roundabout by Pontins ( with the aeroplane sculpture on ) to the next roundabout at Birkdale , which has lots of carts & horse statues on it, where you turn left onto the beach. You can normally park here for free. When you have parked look out to sea and then go off to your left past the horse paddock . Basically , you can wander over the dunes if you wish but I tend to follow the path which takes you across two small wooden bridges towards an area known as Taggs Island . There's lots of bird-friendly shrubbery around all the area and lots of slacks that dragonflies frequent. Obviously like any trip out an element of luck is involved in what you see and with the dunes and beach you can walk as far as you wish since it's such a large area .

Still some interesting activity along Birkdale beach with loads of Oystercatchers , Ringed Plover and Dunlin on the shoreline....We even had the pleasure of being mooned by a Black Backed Gull .

Attachments

• dunlin3.jpg
    dunlin3.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 105
  • butterfly5.jpg
    butterfly5.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 99
  • swallow7.jpg
    swallow7.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 116
  • gull.jpg
    gull.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 113
I worked in Southport for about 5 yrs when I lived in St Helens, whenever I passed the dunes area I was always looking for a Elenora's Falcon after the area had the 1st for Britain many years ago, one day someone will get lucky:)

Are Hobby's nesting in North Merseyside because in the Liverpool Echo blog they're regularly sighted? I always saw them as a Southern bird.

Are Hobby's nesting in North Merseyside because in the Liverpool Echo blog they're regularly sighted? I always saw them as a Southern bird.

Not sure if they're actually nesting in the area but they've been seen quite regularly recently around Birkdale beach ( check BIRDBLOG , John Dempsey's excellent regular updates on what's happening between Seaforth and Birkdale) and they've also been around Marshside , Mere Sands Wood and Martin Mere over the last few months .

If they are (I strongly suspect some are starting to breed somewhere in the NW) then the info's being kept very quiet and I wouldn't expect to see it revealed on a public forum and with good reason.

Hobby are nesting throughout the northwest now. They are regularly seen from the old East Lancs road on the way to Ormskirk. Have you managed to catch up with the Short-winged Conehead, Dune Tiger Beetle and Dune Helleborine - all Sefton coast specialities - yet Colg ( as well as sand Lizard and the ubiquetous Natterjacks ) ?

Hobby are nesting throughout the northwest now. They are regularly seen from the old East Lancs road on the way to Ormskirk. Have you managed to catch up with the Short-winged Conehead, Dune Tiger Beetle and Dune Helleborine - all Sefton coast specialities - yet Colg ( as well as sand Lizard and the ubiquetous Natterjacks ) ?

The answers "NO" to all of these Chris and I think it might be too late in the year for me to rectify the situation regarding a few of them but I'll certainly give them all my full attention as soon as possible. I haven't really had a chance to wander along the beach in the last few days but here's a sanderling and a wagtail that I encountered last week .

Attachments

• wagtail2.jpg
    wagtail2.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 92
  • sanderling.jpg
    sanderling.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 102
With Mondays and Tuesdays being my only days off I was determined that the persistent rain wouldn't stop me from going out . So , dressed in my all-weather gear , I got the train to Ainsdale and walked along the beach to Birkdale . There was a reasonably high tide so a number of waders were within close viewing distance . There was also large roosts of Cormorants and Oystercatchers . I was a bit disappointed that the Snow Buntings that are supposed to be about didn't put in an appearance but I was pleased to see three Little Egrets on the Birkdale Green Beach .

Attachments

• oystercatchers.jpg
    oystercatchers.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 96
  • egret3.jpg
    egret3.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 103
If they are (I strongly suspect some are starting to breed somewhere in the NW) then the info's being kept very quiet and I wouldn't expect to see it revealed on a public forum and with good reason.

Got two sightings in St Helens this year plus regular sightings at Inner Marsh Farm and they are both in the NW. Plus the regular sightings from Risley Moss and surrounds.

We heve a pair locally but I think I have only ever seen one bird. They are quite secretive birds and as much as I would love to get good views of our local Hobby pair, I would not want to bring attention to them.

Do Hobby nest in Cumbria ad Scotland yet?

I saw the Glaucous Gull on Saturday at Welds Road! What a stunner!

Here's a shot of it from Sunday when it flew right down the prom in the wind and rain and past me at about head height!

Attachments

• GlaucousGull1WeldRoad1112.jpg
    GlaucousGull1WeldRoad1112.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 102
Nice shot! I love its paleness and how that comes across in flight. I thought it was a Little Egret, then Great White Egret and then it dawned on me....Glaucous Gull.....the way it flew over and the way it flies it just had a mythical feel to it!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back