• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-goggled Tanager vs. Inti Tanager (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi all,

when I visited Manu road in Nov, 2011, I got pictures of a bird that at those times was identified as Black-goggled Tanager (Trichothraupis melanops).

In version 12.2, IOC has added Inti Tanager (Heliothraupis oneilli), closely related to Black-goggled Tanager, but morphologically and phylogenetically distinctive species.

It could be present in Kosñipata road aka Manu Road in its nonbreeding range.

I do not know if November is or not nonbreeding season for this bird.

In case it is nonbreeding season, anybody may separate Black-goggled Tanager vs. Inti Tanager from a picture.

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_6189.jpg
    IMG_6189.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 22
Hi all,

when I visited Manu road in Nov, 2011, I got pictures of a bird that at those times was identified as Black-goggled Tanager (Trichothraupis melanops).

In version 12.2, IOC has added Inti Tanager (Heliothraupis oneilli), closely related to Black-goggled Tanager, but morphologically and phylogenetically distinctive species.

It could be present in Kosñipata road aka Manu Road in its nonbreeding range.

I do not know if November is or not nonbreeding season for this bird.

In case it is nonbreeding season, anybody may separate Black-goggled Tanager vs. Inti Tanager from a picture.

Regards,
I have checked pictures in eBird and they have included Heliothraupis oneilli as Tangara de San Pedro (Spanish translation of Saint Peter Tanager not Inti Tanager) but they look very different to Black-goggled Tanager so I assume that the bird in my picture is a female Black-goggled Tanager.

Pictures in eBird were taken in November, so I assume that the bird was in its nonbreeding range in that month.

Anyway, any further information will be welcome.

Regards,

Pretty sure it's not inti ("kill bill") tanager. Illustrations of the female suggest bill at least is differently coloured.

I can believe your image is black-goggled, although I'd normally expect to see a paler throat and underparts: suspect lighting is preventing this

Pretty sure it's not inti ("kill bill") tanager. Illustrations of the female suggest bill at least is differently coloured.

I can believe your image is black-goggled, although I'd normally expect to see a paler throat and underparts: suspect lighting is preventing this
Thank you, Fern

Regards

I would expect a significantly yellower bird for Inti Tanager. Go to our opus page, scroll down to references and click Description which when it opens will start with a watercolor showing both sexes.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back