• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-headed Gull (3 Viewers)

From personal experience, bill size/colour, leg colour, size (noticeably smaller than BHG) and darkness/size of the ear spot are the best ways to go about identifying one. Honestly, separating them from black headed gulls seems much harder in theory than in practice. Sadly I deleted my comparison pic that had both species in one frame.

On the few occasions I've seen Bonaparte's it is the wing pattern while flying that is the first thing that has drawn my attention. the narrower black band and the overall neater appearance of these markings - the difference is subtle but still noticeable. When with BHG for comparison, the smaller size and more dainty behaviour is noticeable too.

Yes, I meant the underside. A lady was feeding gulls and pigeons, and I stopped to watch the spectacle* of the gulls circling above.

Actually, I first saw what looked like a BHG (slender wing proportions + company of definite BHGs) with an unusually large amount of white in the underwing (but still some black) around 8-9 January at the same spot, and it upset my confidence about knowing what to expect from a BHG after I spent a significant part of the summer watching them alongside terns at the riverfront.

Yet, both now and then, I seem to have seen two such birds in the flock, which drives the probability down.

EDIT: *(and brush up my ID skills)

EDIT 2: Grr, somewhat enervating, this, and I've still got some stuff to do today. Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for it too much.

Last edited:
I'll use this thread for all my weird gull observations 🥳

weird thin calls, smallish, black spot on head (probably?); hopefully, all this refers of the same bird; at least, I know it's an immature by the black tail band

EDIT: Any chance for a 1st winter Med Gull, maybe??

Attachments

• 20240206_113307.jpg
    20240206_113307.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20240206_113301.jpg
    20240206_113301.jpg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20240206_113253.jpg
    20240206_113253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 20240206_113422.jpg
    20240206_113422.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20240206_113427.jpg
    20240206_113427.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 76
It would require that I fill in an eBird rarity report (they are mostly summer breeders here), although wintering individuals in smaller numbers are not unheard of either.

I thought about it as well, though the extent of black on the upper- and underwing made me think of something else (I saw the black spot behind the eye twice, but--granted--it might've possibly been on another individual).

Attachments

• 20240206_113341.jpg
    20240206_113341.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240206_113342.jpg
    20240206_113342.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240206_113339.jpg
    20240206_113339.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240206_113253.jpg
    20240206_113253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Also, the first picture under the first post has a Common Gull alongside in the same lighting conditions, and it seems darker than the bird in question?

EDIT: Also, it looks a bit lank and angular for a Common Gull, FWIW (hope this photo is of the same individual as well).

Attachments

• 20240206_113259.jpg
    20240206_113259.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I'll use this thread for all my weird gull observations
As a point of principle - and in this specific case - I really don't think you should, and I should like to discourage this. It just confuses things - much more helpful (to all) to have started a new thread. The OP's bird was clearly a black-headed-gull-type observation, and yours clearly isn't - so there isn't even a significant ID link.

Last edited:
Hello,

it was a difficult bird for me too, so thanks Xenospiza and Lou from me too!
I just want to add, that although difficult to be sure due to quality and artefacts, picture 2 in post 6 seems to show a broad and distinct blackish boarder to the axillaries. This is lacking in most (at least) 1st cycle Med Gulls, please compare:
(05.09.2016, Prenzlau, NE-Germany)
Here is one with an indication of it Club300 Germany

As a point of principle - and in this specific case - I really don't think you should, and I should like to discourage this. It just confuses things - much more helpful (to all) to have started a new thread. The OP's bird was clearly a black-headed-gull-type observation, and yours clearly isn't - so there isn't even a significant ID link.
I'm the OP, and I thought I'd better not start a new thread every time I notice something unusual, but will follow your advice if that's the consensus.

Yes, also the call was quite unlike the 'eh' that would be expected from a Mediterranean Gull.

I thought I'd better not start a new thread every time I notice something unusual
I think you should - that's how this forum works. Things can get terribly confused otherwise. (But I've said that already, and I do disapprove of people repeating themselves 😳)

Last edited:
Fair enough, I will (and, yes, I did change the avatar from Hooded Crow to Blackbird in the meantime).

I'm the OP, and I thought I'd better not start a new thread every time I notice something unusual, but will follow your advice if that's the consensus.

Yes, also the call was quite unlike the 'eh' that would be expected from a Mediterranean Gull.
Details of the vocalisations would have been useful from the start!

RB

Yes, I should've said it more clearly (I held out hope that the 》weird thin call《 could've somehow been of a Med Gull). Makes me think it was a strange string on many levels on my part. Much better for Common Gull indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back