• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-n-White Ducks...Scaups? (Oakland, CA, USA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

I'm posting these for ID separately, since I think they all may be Scaups of some sort (lesser or greater?), but I'm not really sure.

Can I get individual IDs that include gender and age (juvenile, immature, breeding, not breeding, etc.) to help me along?

All taken at the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline (Oakland, CA, USA).

(Honest, I am trying to use an Audubon app, but still finding the IDs tricky.)

Attachments

• IDme_1247.JPG
    IDme_1247.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IDme_1258.JPG
    IDme_1258.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IDme_1481.JPG
    IDme_1481.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IDme_1594.JPG
    IDme_1594.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IDme_1690.JPG
    IDme_1690.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 53
They are all greater scaup. I don't want to try to age/sex them, though the second bird must be an adult male. The head shape, bill size, and extent of black on the bill tip makes them all greater scaup rather than lesser scaup.

Thanks...I had suspected there we all the same species from them all hanging-out together, the pale blue beak, and similar behavior.

If anyone would like to take a stab at details. I popped-open the Audubon app and am guessing:

1. adult female, breeding
  2. adult male, breeding
  3. male, immature or juvenile?
  4. adult male, nonbreeding
  5. male, immature or juvenile?

So much to learn!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back