• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-naped Oriole immature ? (1 Viewer)

Hi mahdi.naghibi and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've move your post to the Bird Identification Q&A forum, where more people are likely to see it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Black-naped should be very unlikely in Iran. I'd suggest Eurasian Golden oriole, but I don't have any experience IDing either species.

Yes, a quick look at eBird range maps confirms what nartreb shared: Black-naped Oriole would be quite ununsual in Iran. A female/immature Eurasian Golden Oriole looks like a decent match for your photos, and just based on range would be the only likely oriole in that area.

Black-naped should be very unlikely in Iran. I'd suggest Eurasian Golden oriole, but I don't have any experience IDing either species.
In the past years, birds from India and South Asia were observed in the south and southeast of Iran in the winter season.

This is not a new thing

Yes, a quick look at eBird range maps confirms what nartreb shared: Black-naped Oriole would be quite ununsual in Iran. A female/immature Eurasian Golden Oriole looks like a decent match for your photos, and just based on range would be the only likely oriole in that area.
It is not unusual to see the Black-naped Oriole in Iran. The following has been seen in the Persian Gulf region before

It is not unusual to see the Black-naped Oriole in Iran. The following has been seen in the Persian Gulf region before
I just want to be certain, Mahdi, that we are discussing Black-naped Oriole Oriolus chinensis. and not imperfectly marked Eurasian Golden Oriole O. oriolus or Indian Golden Oriole, O. kundoo.

Now, I haven't seen mention of Indian Golden Oriole by the Iran Bird Records Committee since the first record on the Konark coast, Chabahar, Sistan & Baluchestan in December 2021, which was also a first record for the Extended Western Palearctic An earlier record by Zarudny (1911) was removed from the Iran List on the grounds that the description did not eliminate Eurasian Golden Oriole which occurs on passage and breeds in North Iran. Of course, I may have missed other Iran records of O. kundoo since 2021. When Birds of Iran was published in 2017, only Oriolus oriolus was mentioned: during my contribution to that book, I did ask if there were any records of vagrancy to Iran from Afghanistan of O. kundoo, and enquired if any museum specimens had been wrongly identified as O. oriolus, but the answer to both queries was in the negative.

The only record I know of Black-naped Oriole in the OSME Region of the Extended Western Palearctic is one from Thumrait, Oman in December 2011, but again, there may well be others that I have missed.

I would therefore very much appreciate any published citation of O. kundoo and O. chinensis in Iran in addition to those I've mentioned.
MJB

Last edited:
eBird does show one record of Black-naped across the gulf in a park in Dubai, in February 2012. It was seen by multiple observers, here is the only one who provided photos:

Eurasian Golden sightings on eBird are more numerous throughout the Gulf region, though also infrequent. It seems possible that some of these birds are misidentified. What we need is someone who can tell us how one might differentiate between these two/three species in the field (or whether it is even possible to do so).

Black-naped Oriol, immature
Because....?

I have zero experience with either species. However, I'm curious what the distinctions are between the two. Adult male is easy to tell since the Eurasian only seems to show black in front of (and maybe slightly behind) the eye, however juveniles/female look to me more similar.

Just checking a (very) few images online, it does look like the Black-naped juv/F has more streaking and shows a gray eye-stripe extending further back than Eurasian Golden.

To me this matches better to the OPs bird than a Eurasian Golden. So... apart from "likelihood", I don't see why this shouldn't be Black-naped?

This came up on a similar thread recently. A bit of research suggested that these Orioles can be extremely hard to tell apart. I'm not sure we ever found a foolproof set of characters. And also iirc that distributions are wrong and/or incompletely known with various things which the guides say are rare being recorded consistently

Because....?

I have zero experience with either species. However, I'm curious what the distinctions are between the two. Adult male is easy to tell since the Eurasian only seems to show black in front of (and maybe slightly behind) the eye, however juveniles/female look to me more similar.

Just checking a (very) few images online, it does look like the Black-naped juv/F has more streaking and shows a gray eye-stripe extending further back than Eurasian Golden.

To me this matches better to the OPs bird than a Eurasian Golden. So... apart from "likelihood", I don't see why this shouldn't be Black-naped?
Because of my other photos from back of the bird.

Maybe it's a known individual (known in Iran)??

Added to Wikipedia's checklist of Iranian birds only on August 2: List of birds of Iran: Difference between revisions - Wikipedia.

EDIT: 7 February 2023, five days before the OP's photos were taken (although the OP was there at the time of its first sighting, too):

Same bird, same branch.

Was this particular instance a twitch? If so, the question remains: how was it initially identified/picked out?

Black-naped vs Indian (if ID'ed correctly):

From what I see in eBird, there were at least three Black-naped Orioles at the time and place (2 adult females and one immature)?

The only ID note I was able to find was:
there were no errors in identifying it due to its distinctive color.

Last edited:
Because of my other photos from back of the bird.
Maybe photos of the back show the hint of the black nape mentioned previously?
That would mean only adult and immature males are identifiable?

However, what rules out Indian Oriole with photos like this one?

Elimination of Eurasian Golden is relatively straightforward by a combination of 1) too much yellow in the tail 2) pp too short 3) bill too heavy 4) WC's more solidly yellow-green, centres to MC and GC (when visible) black and crucially 5) black extends to nape which is just about visible in the lower image and presumably what HD is referring to when he says he has images of the back of the bird.

Ruling out Indian is less straightforward but I would refer you to points 3), 4) and 5) above.

Black-naped ssp diffusus winters to Indochina, Malay Peninsula and S Asia and has reached Oman so its hardly surprising there are records from S Iran whereas, Indian (northern population) is a relatively short distance migrant.

Grahame

Last edited:
Hello, apologies, I don't understand No. 1 and No. 4.

Re No. 1: Is it about the amount of yellow in the undertail or in the uppertail? Does the validity of this criterion depend on the age of the birds under comparison?

Indian:
Uppertail:
Undertail:

Eurasian:
Uppertail:
Undertail:

Black-chinned:
Uppertail:
Undertail:

Re No. 4: In Blasco Zumeta's guide median and greater upperwing coverts also seem to have dark centres. Is it about the background colour (more yellowish in Black-naped, more greenish in Eurasian)?

Quick question about No. 5:
The black doesn't appear to extend to the nape here--what makes this particular individual (that's another bird from the same area and time) Black-chinned, not Indian Golden Oriole (only one photo available)?

Attachments

• 15080_Oriolus_oriolus_E.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back