• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-necked vs Black Winged Stilt (1 Viewer)

connorco

United States
Hi all,
This is less of a serious ID request and more of an opportunity for learning on my end. Today at Delta del Llobregat outside of Barcelona, I observed a Stilt that stood out from the others. Of the ~85 Stilt in the area, this was the only bird with dark on the head. When I saw it I immediately thought it looked like a Black-necked Stilt, a common bird for me around where I live. This bird was being persistently attacked by some Black-winged Stilts with chicks, which is how I located it initially. I know that Black-winged Stilts can sometimes show extensive black on the head, looking like a Black-necked Stilt without the white eyepatch. What was interesting about this bird is it had an eyepatch somewhat like BNST. I'm just curious how one would seperate the two species out in the field. Poor photos attached below

Attachments

• stilt-1.jpg
    stilt-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • stilt-2.jpg
    stilt-2.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back