• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Tern for id (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
Hi
Is this just a Black Tern? I thought it was when I saw it, but now I've seen the photos, I don't recall seeing flanks as grey as these before.....

On Eccleston Mere St Helens this evening. Sorry for the poor quality photos.

Thanks

Colin

Attachments

• btern.jpg
    btern.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 783
  • btern1.jpg
    btern1.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 665
  • btern2.jpg
    btern2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,139
Never know...may have followed the skimmer over! Does have a pretty decent amount of white on the head for the American one, as well as the dusky flanks and dark looking uppers

yes, it's a black tern - is it a trick of the light or is there a lot of grey on the flanks - possibly from the other side of the Atlantic????

EDIT, should have read the question! But yes, I'm thinking what you were thinking!

Never know...may have followed the skimmer over! Does have a pretty decent amount of white on the head for the American one, as well as the dusky flanks and dark looking uppers

And there was a Forster's Tern in Ireland yesterday for added weight of circumstantial evidence ;)

Colin,whats the access like at Eccleston mere,i havent been for years is it still accessible..

The yacht club end on Burrows lane has a gate which is usually locked. However, about 100 yards down from the gate there is a hole in the hedge which lots of people go through. Be aware though that it's a private site.

If it's not on the mere, nearby Taylor Park might be worth a look. Prescot Reservoirs is also a possibility but all access has been stopped there at the moment so lets hope it doesn't turn up there. Carr Mill Dam off the A580 is also a good possibility, birds often move between the mere and the dam.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back