• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Tern? N Poland (1 Viewer)

Max S.

I would be grateful for some confirmation on this tern found last week in NW Poland. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN4276 (2).JPG
    DSCN4276 (2).JPG
    919.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN4277 (2).JPG
    DSCN4277 (2).JPG
    689.1 KB · Views: 54
Collins guide has it that both Black and White-winged Tern progressively lose certain black feathers on their head between summer and winter. All three Chlidonias terns also seem to progressively lose the dark colour of the belly.

(EDIT: I even have a photo of the plate on my phone, but I don't think I can post it here, and I can't attach anything to a private message.)

Or immature. Whichever, an intermediate plumage - as occurs in all species - it's just more obvious in some than in others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back