• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black woodpecker's sound (1 Viewer)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
When does the black woodpecker make this sound? Because I hear it very rarely, much less than the other sounds of this birds, why?

Attachments

• Black woodpecker meow.wav
    2.1 MB
What I managed to find (the list is very curated; no need to open all: summary below):

Its names include 'jackdaw', 'ke-jak' (🇭🇺) or 'Kijak' (🇩🇪) (ki-yack), 'peough', 'tawny owl', 'eagle' and 'mewing' call.

Apparently, it means either aggression (male to male, towards GSW, and--possibly--other kinds), or sexual motivation (male or female), or--possibly--serves other communication purposes (social / contact call; male to female, male to juveniles???). It can occur next to drumming or song and can be given by both sexes (also in a duet or even trio?). An interesting alternative hypothesis here: XC165636 Black Woodpecker (Dryocopus martius) (also, it could be a display call). Coincidentally (or maybe not?) the begging call sounds a bit like a weaker version of this call:
Or maybe it's not one but many similar, slightly different calls with different meanings.

Any clarification welcome.

Last edited:
I think this is a call of an excited Black Woodpecker (for whatever reason). I hear it very little – mostly in spring. I believe I also heard this call in response to a Goshawk coming way too close!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back