• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blame global warning if you want (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I just altered the way store my bird records so now I can look at totals summed by quarter months. I intuitively thought this was the case, but now my data show that Willow Warblers are arriving earlier. It also shows that in recent years Spring records are predominating and that there is a distinct double peak observable - I assume relating to firstly British breeding birds then later Scandinavian ones.

The upper graph is pre 1985 and the lower on is post 1985...

Whatever the cause, the effect is observable!

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 142
Interesting.

I'd have thought the double spring peak is males and females - I doubt that many Scandinavian WWbls pass through western Britain, they'll mostly go up through Holland, Germany, Denmark to avoid the long North Sea crossing. They only appear on the east coast in 'fall' conditions, east winds and rain.

Michael

From wing lengths of the trapped birds there is a second peak of males in May... and a dribble of acredula types. Ring Ouzel shows a similar pattern - though with much smaller numbers. Not got enough ringing recoveries to prove anything ... though two of the later birds made it to the northern isles..

Oh and we only get WW in late mid to may in drift conditions...the figures being skewed probably my me making every effort to be out there in drift conditions :)

On my three local patches, although there are good numbers of Chiffchaffs, I've only had about 4 Willow Warblers, 3 or 4 Blackcaps and 2 (poss. the same one twice) Swallows so far this year - I blame 'Global Cooling!' :h?:

I'm not a statistics buff but I think you could interpret your charts differently. Haven't you lost the bulk of your earliest arrivals so you could say they're getting later?

The part that most interested me was the absence of any records at all in the first q of April pre 1985 and there presence of a lot post 85. There is a fall of 270 on one late Apr day in 1998 which distorts the figures a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back