• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Back on a Hummingbird? (1 Viewer)

Betsy154

United States
Hi, brand new to this site. This morning, while I was watering my garden a hummingbird flew in right by my face, then lit on one of my vegetable cages, about a foot and a half away from my face. I froze so he wouldn’t leave and got a pretty good look at him for several seconds, but was so taken in that I didn’t notice things like tail, etc., and I couldn’t see his chest. He was dark grey/charcoal (almost black on the back, wings and head, and had a beautiful iridescent lighter blue right down the middle of his back, and also had a yellow/slightly orange around the edges small patch on his crown. I’m in the Central Valley of California and usually only see Anna’s and Rufous here, and did some searching but can’t find this color pattern anywhere…anyone have any ideas?

Not sure which Hummer you have. It would be great if you could get a pic of it the next time you see it.

Hi there Betsy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Not sure which Hummer you have. It would be great if you could get a pic of it the next time you see it.

Hi there Betsy and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)
Yes! A photo would have been great, but I was out in my bathrobe picking green beans and didn’t have my phone. And when he landed so close to my head, I was afraid to move to try and get it. While I stayed still, he visited several blooms on my green bean plants. Next time I’m determined to at least get some more details like tail, chin, etc.

It was mostly dark, almost black though (except for a small band of iridescent blue down the middle,of the back and the yellow patch right on top of the small head.

Have you tried a Google Search for Hummingbirds and check out the "images" Use the term Hummingbird with a blue stripe on its back and see what pops up.

Hi Betsy and a warm welcome from me too.

Just a thought, I'm wondering if the patch of yellow on the head could be pollen?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Betsy and a warm welcome from me too.

Just a thought, I'm wondering if the patch of yellow on the head could be pollen?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
Thanks, it was a pretty solid patch and I’m pretty sure it was coloring, not pollen since I was so close. It was also well-defined. Appreciate the welcome and your response!

Have you tried a Google Search for Hummingbirds and check out the "images" Use the term Hummingbird with a blue stripe on its back and see what pops up.
Oh yes, I searched on google for over an hour, can’t find anything with the blue down the middle of the back. Thanks for the recommendation though, appreciated!

Well, as I saId earlier, it would be great if you could get a picture and I'm sure one of our I D experts could identify it for you and us ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back