• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Rock Thrushes? Hainan, China (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

The first two pictures are of the same individual which I think is a Blue Rock Thrush. I see these birds frequently perching right outside my window. I took a trip on the island a few hours away and saw a few birds that I have shown in pictures 3 and 4. Pictures 3 and 4 are of different individuals which I believe to be the same species. I want to call 1 and 2 a male Blue Rock Thrush and pictures 3 and 4 female Blue Rock Thrushes but it just doesn't make any sense that I see the males often near my home and have to drive several hours to see the females. I must be missing something here. I realize pictures 3 and 4 are of especially low quality but if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• 1 3007.jpg
    1 3007.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 1 3008.jpg
    1 3008.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 1 3035.jpg
    1 3035.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1 3041.jpg
    1 3041.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 41
This would seem to be a fine philip if seen in Japan.
The young or female birds are impossible to Id to ssp level, aren't they?
Cheers
Gerben

Last edited:
Yes, Blue Rock Thrushes. The first is a male philippensis. The others are a bit trickier to judge sex or subspecies from the lighting and angle in these photos. As Gerben says the females are impossible to ID to subspecies anyway.

I don't think you should think too much about a difference in distribution between males and females. They are usually quite patchily distributed in south China and it seems to be chance which sex is present. I've previously thought that there might be a difference of distribution in Hong Kong, only to find that areas with more males on one visit have more females on another visit, or vice versa.

Yes, Blue Rock Thrushes. The first is a male philippensis. The others are a bit trickier to judge sex or subspecies from the lighting and angle in these photos. As Gerben says the females are impossible to ID to subspecies anyway.

I don't think you should think too much about a difference in distribution between males and females. They are usually quite patchily distributed in south China and it seems to be chance which sex is present. I've previously thought that there might be a difference of distribution in Hong Kong, only to find that areas with more males on one visit have more females on another visit, or vice versa.

Hence I didn't try!

Interesting , John. Thanks! Do you know what else would occur on Hainan besides philippensis? Maybe pandoo ?

Brian

Yes, pandoo should also be possible. Both winter in south China.
I had a discussion about these a couple of days ago with a friend - I think I see more philippensis than pandoo in Hong Kong, he thinks he sees more pandoo than philippensis.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back