• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit Nesting nox. Hole help! (1 Viewer)

Chrisbspm

United Kingdom
Hello,

I am brand hew here and brand new to anything to do with birds.

I recently did up my garden and built my own little bird box. I didn't think much of it and just put it up.

However to my pleasant surprise I have noticed that 2 and sometimes a third blue tit and going to the box backwards and forwards. Carrying nesting material too.

My question is in relation to the hole. When I built the box I used the only large drill bit I have, which measures approximately 24mm. Potentially 25mm at an absolute push.

I have googled and found that 25mm is minimum. I purchased a new drill bit the other day which is 28mm and was going to increase the size. However, now I am concerned that as the birds seem to be quite active going to and from the box, that I shouldn't widen the hole now.

Do people believe I should leave everything as is and assume that the birds are OK with the hole size because they are coming and going frequently?

I only ask because I have noticed when the bird leaves the nest, he/she is struggling to get out. They finally make it out but it seems like a 10-20 second struggle. Maybe this is entirely normal and they prefer a right squeeze?

Thoughts?

Photo attached. Although not great quality.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210409_122708.jpg
    20210409_122708.jpg
    808.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!
We are glad that you found us andPlease join in wherever you like.

As to the birdhouse, I would leave it be. Here, across the pond it is a Federal law to interfere with any nesting birds. I’m sure there is something similar in your area.

Seconded ; leave alone otherwise the pair could desert the nest box if they see you near the box or any changes. Better it is small enough to prevent any larger species from evicting them or predation of the contents.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

25mm is the recommended size but I agree that you should leave the box alone for this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back