• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebird question (1 Viewer)

I have bluebird nesting houses. The hole of one of the houses was chewed by squirrels. When I went out to replace it there were already eggs in it. One of the eggs was larger than the other 4 but exactly the same color. They have hatched and that baby is much larger and growing fast. Will it crowd out the other babies? What kind of bird is it?

Welcome to BF.
Will it crowd out the other babies?
That, and/or out-compete them for food.
What kind of bird is it?
It's necessary to know your location (which should always be given with any enquiry about the natural world, as it's often helpful and sometimes essential), but, being - evidently - somewhere in N America, the most likely brood-parasite is brown-headed cowbird.
Biology in action! (y)

Welcome to BF.

It's necessary to know your location (which should always be given with any enquiry about the natural world, as it's often helpful and sometimes essential), but, being - evidently - somewhere in N America, the most likely brood-parasite is brown-headed cowbird.
Biology in action! (y)
Welcome to BF.

Biology in action! (y)
I am in northeastern Alabama. I thought about cowbird but what I found didn’t show their eggs to be light blue.

USA then. Ta.
Pass - but, if they're like other brood-parasites, different populations evolve different egg-colorations to match their different host-species. Clever, innit.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’m afraid I can’t help with your query.

Unlikely, the likely brood parasite will hog the food to the detriment of the others.
Baby cuckoos push the other eggs/fledglings out of the nest quickly, probably not possible in a box.
Cowbirds are less direct afaik, but the end result is the same..
It is probable that the enlarged nest hole allowed the brood parasite to enter, A metal squirrel guard around the nest hole might be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back