• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetits nesting (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
For the experienced amongst you this may be nothing, but to me it's fascinating to see just how clever & industrious these little birds are.

They haven't nested with me for about 4 years but after spending every night here since Christmas it nice to see them again trying to raise young.

Attachments

• Birdbox_20240321_2.mp4
    4.8 MB
For the experienced amongst you this may be nothing, but to me it's fascinating to see just how clever & industrious these little birds are.

They haven't nested with me for about 4 years but after spending every night here since Christmas it nice to see them again trying to raise young.
Well Done Thomas. I have been trying for years to get them nesting in my camera nest box with no success. I had Coal Tits, Great Tits, and Blue Tits visit but none of them has taken up the vacancy.

Well Done Thomas. I have been trying for years to get them nesting in my camera nest box with no success. I had Coal Tits, Great Tits, and Blue Tits visit but none of them has taken up the vacancy.
Thanks EvShaz, I have to admit it's pure luck. About 4 yrs ago they nested but then nothing. They have spent nights since over colder winter months but no nest. Then this year "bingo":). Fingers crossed for success 🤞

It seems the male is rather too eager to begin feeding :LOL:
She's just this morning started laying down the soft top layer so it shouldn't be long now.

Attachments

• Birdbox_20240324.mp4
    5.7 MB
Four weeks after she started building the nest. No eggs yet (AFAICS) but, although he's brought food previously, this is the first time she's accepted it.
Does this mean laying could be imminent?

BTW, I've always thought distinguishing between sexes is largely a matter of the depth of colour of blue caps, I'm still struggling to make any distinction here.

Attachments

• Birdbox_240411.mp4
    8.6 MB
We have 2 nest box cameras, 1 has had a blue tit roosting all winter, nothing in the other one, early April the blue tit started nest building in the 1 that she was roosting in then suddenly stopped, now a blue tit is nest building in the other one, could it be the same bird, it roosted in that 1 but last night 1 was roosting in the other one and none in the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back