• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetits nesting (1 Viewer)

It is hard sometimes watching everything on camera, you get the highs and the lows, one year we had 5 great tit chick's and none survived, a cold snap and her mate disappeared, hope the rest do well.
Yes, it is indeed hard. As of day 14 only 2 are surviving. On the plus side, they both seems active & hungry for food.

No matter how hard she tries to clear the nest,
the body just won't go through the hole.:cry:

(I hope this plays)

Attachments

• Birdbox_20240521.mov
    13.6 MB
OK, I'm bracing myself, as I'm sure someone will disagree with my action, but...

This morning I checked the box camera and there was no sign of the chicks! A quick look around the garden and one was spotted huddled in a corner the other pitifully hopping around. I have to say here that it is a very exposed section of garden.

I waiting a little while but no sign of the parents. What do I do? 🤔
I know the neighbour has a cat.
They're just 19 days old so chances of survival outside would be very slim.

I bit the bullet and gently collected the 2, placing them back in the box.

After about 5 mins the female returned with food, and all seems to be well. She's been back a few times since.

I see what appears to be a problem in that the nest material is very high, meaning it's not a great leap for the chicks up to the entrance hole. Obviously how they got out. They seem quite active!

I know, in theory, the message is leave alone but...

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 5
Sadly this is the last for this year 😢

After relocating the youngsters, & parents continuing the feeding (well apparently), sadly 1 passed away last night, the other this morning.
The female continued to bring food early morning but the remaining chick just wasn't interested.

I suspect that the fall from the nest must have had a greater effect than was shown. After all, a fall of some 6ft on to hard surface, for chicks less than 20 days old, must have been a shock.

The parents have now given up and left.

Nature can be hard.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Users who are viewing this thread

Back