• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Booby sp., Laguna de Terminos, Campeche, Mexico, February 2023 (1 Viewer)

Bitis

Austria
Hello all, I was in Mexico for four weeks in February this year and I have a lot of birds I'm not sure about ID. So in the next few weeks there probably will be a lot of ID requests :D sorry about that and thx a lot in advance!!!!!

This Booby I'm curious about the most I think. I saw it on February 22nd 2023. It was in the "Laguna de Terminos", Campeche, Mexico, south of Isla Aguada.

My best guess was juvenile Brown Booby, but the distribution map doesn't show it there.
All pictures show the same individual, thank you!

Attachments

• Booby sp., Mexico_1.jpg
    Booby sp., Mexico_1.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Booby sp., Mexico_2.jpg
    Booby sp., Mexico_2.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Booby sp., Mexico_3.jpg
    Booby sp., Mexico_3.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Booby sp., Mexico_4.jpg
    Booby sp., Mexico_4.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Booby sp., Mexico_5.jpg
    Booby sp., Mexico_5.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 29
Nothing wrong for it rangewise: Sign in. Maps happen to be inaccurate or outdated.

EDIT: Caveat: I can't confirm the ID.
Thank you! It's very strange, when I enter ebird and look for Brown Booby it shows a different map than your link, even though it's also ebird :unsure:
Edit: okay, I just read it wrong. The map you linked also says no records there. Maybe not a lot of people there bird watching... . Closest sighting on e bird and on inaturalist is about 300 km, but I guess thats not that far for a seabird

Last edited:
Thank you! It's very strange, when I enter ebird and look for Brown Booby it shows a different map than your link, even though it's also ebird :unsure:
Edit: okay, I just read it wrong. The map you linked also says no records there. Maybe not a lot of people there bird watching...
This one is less against a lighter background, so some darker squares are better visible. Those in shown Merlin Bird ID are from a different source. At least, these are all the differences that I can account for.

Agree with the id. It is not reported from exactly there but the opposite coast of the Yucatan peninsula has lots of observations. I would not be surprised if I had one in this location.

Niels

This one is less against a lighter background, so some darker squares are better visible. Those in shown Merlin Bird ID are from a different source. At least, these are all the differences that I can account for.
The map also shows in light squares where there are no sightings. You have to click on something like "no records/sightings" (my version is in German) on the bottom right, then those disappear (see attached photos).

Attachments

• Brown Booby, Map.png
    Brown Booby, Map.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Brown Booby, Map2.png
    Brown Booby, Map2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Agree with the id. It is not reported from exactly there but the opposite coast of the Yucatan peninsula has lots of observations. I would not be surprised if I had one in this location.

Niels
Also thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I also think it's lack of reports why it's not marked on the map there. Next report is about 300 km, not that much for a seabird I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back