• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book for European insects? (1 Viewer)

Although this is now a dead thread - I would recommend Butterflies of Britain and Europe - A Photographic Guide by Haahtela, Saarinen, Ojalainen and Arnio as a butterfly guide that I find better for use in the field than Tolman and Lewington which was mentioned in post #17.

Thanks Paul for reminding me of this. I knew there was a photographic guide that was highly recommended, but don't have it myself. In the field in Europe I use the Mitchell Beazley pocket guide. It's out of print and probably very dated but has the advantage of genuinely fitting in a pocket. The Tolman guide I leave in the hotel for later reference.
Tim

Although this is now a dead thread - I would recommend Butterflies of Britain and Europe - A Photographic Guide by Haahtela, Saarinen, Ojalainen and Arnio as a butterfly guide that I find better for use in the field than Tolman and Lewington which was mentioned in post #17.
Reprint (updated?) now available quite cheaply on Amazon..............

So on a second try, I finally received the Chinery book (the postal service can serious go f*** themselves for losing our packages). I have to say that I am quite surprised with the book - because it's pretty tiny. It's so small that it just doesn't make sense why not make it a bit larger and include more species. I understand that it's impossible to cover all the insects, but here I don't really understand the choice of brevity against a little bit more of coverage. In the meanwhile (as it took months to get the book) I became a bit interested in butterflies and dragonflies and I can already see the obvious missing species even in those popular and well marked families. The book is still absolutely fantastic for all the other families - it includes a lot of well explained morphological detail and it's really the thing I wanted - a lot of information to get a random critter to the right family. But it just could have been a little bigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back