• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bordeaux, France. Geese. Oct 2022 (1 Viewer)

Cormac

All photos taken in Jardin Public in Bordeaux this week.
Is it possible to say if these geese are hybrids or not.
Barnacle - approx 10 observed
Bar-headed - approx 15 observed
Canada - approx 10 observed
White-fronted - approx 4 observed
Snow goose - approx 6 observed

Attachments

• DSCN8944.JPG
    DSCN8944.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN8986.JPG
    DSCN8986.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN9030.JPG
    DSCN9030.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN9183.JPG
    DSCN9183.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN9195.JPG
    DSCN9195.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 24
All photos taken in Jardin Public in Bordeaux this week.
Is it possible to say if these geese are hybrids or not.
Barnacle - approx 10 observed
Bar-headed - approx 15 observed
Canada - approx 10 observed
White-fronted - approx 4 observed
Snow goose - approx 6 observed
By hybrids did you mean to say feral/domesticated perhaps?

As with other geese populations in city parks, it's technically possible that some of these (i.e. the Barnacle and Greater White-fronted ones) are/were wild birds that for some reason joined the half-tame exotics in the park. However, the likeliest scenario is that they are all descended from captive birds and thus a feral population.

As far south as Bordeaux I believe that only small numbers of wild geese (Greylag and White-fronted?) make it to that part of the world (there are nearby wetlands). However, agree all most likely of captive origin.

Hello,
I agree with all.
I just wanted to add, that your Geese have plastic colour rings, different to those used for avian research and readable colour rings (normally with letters and/or numbers printed on it) and they are wing-clipped.

I am sure, that this is already included by the words zoo/captive/feral.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back