• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breeding Pairs of Red Kites and Sea Eagles (1 Viewer)

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone knew how many pairs and young were raised by the sea eagles in scotland and the various populations of red kites around the country. It's been great following the gradual increase of these birds and I'm sure there are many others eagerly awaiting news of this years breeding. I live in Hampshire and was pleased to learn that there was a pair of kites which bred this year. Does anyone know how this pair got on? and if there are many other pairs beginning to spread away from the main sites.
Many Thanks
Adam

Last years count was just over 200 breeding pairs of Red Kites in the Chilterns, not bad considering the reintroduction programme started in 1989 and lasted 5 years.

They are now beginning to spread out from the core area, and have been seen over Watford, Maidenhead, Oxford and Hatch, just outside Basingstoke.

Hi Adam,

"Welcome to Birdforum!", from all the moderators and other staff here.

I can't help you on the facts and figures of this season's breeding success, I'm afraid. The 'native' kites here in Wales are continuing to spread though, despite the effect the feeding sites in Mid-Wales have in keeping the core of the population in that region.

I'm sure someone will be along to give you some more details soon ;)!

Cheers,

Andy.

A warm welcome Adam

24 young sea eagles had successfully fledged across Scotland. And the Red Kites in West Yorkshire fledged approx 50 young, just to add to the total.
Hope this helps.

Mick Baron
Leeds

barontan2418 said:
A warm welcome Adam

24 young sea eagles had successfully fledged across Scotland. And the Red Kites in West Yorkshire fledged approx 50 young, just to add to the total.
Hope this helps.

Mick Baron
Leeds

Thankyou all and thankyou for your warm welcomes. I made a Mull Pilgrimage earlier in the year and had some fantastic sightings of sea and golden eagles. What an amazing place and it's good to hear they're doing well.
I went up to West Yorkshire last year and was amazed to see so many kites so soon after the reintroduction. I saw only my second kite in Hampshire earlier in the year and I've started seeing them more regularly North of the M4 on the A34. I'm off to the Black Isle on the 23rd and hope to see some Scottish Kites too. There seems to great opportunites to see kites in most areas of the country now.
Adam

Red kites in the Derwent Valley

Adam Fulton said:
Thankyou all and thankyou for your warm welcomes. I made a Mull Pilgrimage earlier in the year and had some fantastic sightings of sea and golden eagles. What an amazing place and it's good to hear they're doing well.
I went up to West Yorkshire last year and was amazed to see so many kites so soon after the reintroduction. I saw only my second kite in Hampshire earlier in the year and I've started seeing them more regularly North of the M4 on the A34. I'm off to the Black Isle on the 23rd and hope to see some Scottish Kites too. There seems to great opportunites to see kites in most areas of the country now.
Adam

Hello- :hi: and welcome Adam! On your journey northwards, or possibly on your return from the Black Isle, you might like to do a short detour from the A1 south, to see our re-introduced red kites here in the north-east. Our project is the final one of the seven UK programmes and the only one to be carried out in a semi-urban environment.
Have a look at our thread here Stop Press Red Kites or go to Gateshead Birding or consult www.northernkites.org.uk There you'll find lots of practical information on where to see the red kites in the lower Derwent Valley, near Rowlands Gill and the National Trust Gibside Estate.
We have released 41 this year, so there is a good chance of seeing some newbies as well as some of last year's birds. :clap: :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back