• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol to Kagu ? (2 Viewers)

Moscow to Beijing

As expected birding from Moscow to Beijing from the train in Winter wasn't that productive, but it did have it's moments. There were very few get-out stops each day, and they were invariably for less than 20 minutes in a birdless built-up spot.

The first two days passed pretty much solidly through flat snow-covered land made up of a patchwork of Birch woods and open areas. The majority of birds seen were common corvids, which was to be the case for most of the trip. Highlights were 7 Black Grouse (including a group of 5), a Goshawk, a flock of Waxwings, a Great Grey Shrike, and painfully sh1te views of what must have been an Azure Tit :'D. There were notably few birds at all, even unidentified ones. Great Tits and House Sparrows appeared at most stations for the first 4 days.

Days 3 and 4 took us through more hilly terrain with denser mixed forest, and we passed alongside lake Baikal and on into more open steppe with areas of willow scrub.... but still no AT. From here on Hooded Crows were replaced by all black crows, presumably races from the Oriental Crow group, (a "C" list lifer perhaps). Day 4 also produced a couple of Common Gulls at Lake Baikal, 4 Hawfinches, Short-eared Owl, a few flocks of larks, at least some of which were Shore Larks, and my first "B" list lifer, Asian Azure-winged Magpie. These were a bit of a shock so close to lake Baikal in the snow, as I hadn't checked their range and wasn't expecting anything quite so weird yet ! On day 4 Nicky gripped me off with a male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker when the train was stationary and I was in the loo.

We were arriving at Ulaan Baatar when we woke at dawn the next day, and soon to leave behind our last patch of willow scrub, and with it my hopes of A.T.. We climbed up into higher altitude frozen steppe, and incredibly still had Mapies with us. This bird and Raven were to follow us all the way. The most frequently seen birds on the day long journey south across this flat frozen section of Mongolia were (to me) predominently unidentifiable Buzzards on posts, and flocks of predominently unidentifiable Larks. At least a couple of the buzzrds were Japanese Buzzard, hopefully I'll be able to unravel others later. Many of the Larks were Shore Larks, but the undoubted highlight of this section was 2 large Lark flocks which between them included many (100+) Mongolian Larks, a full blown "A" list lifer. Other birds included 8 Black Vultures, 3 Golden Eagles, 2 Little Owls, 2 Chough, a Great Grey Shrike , and some Hill Pigeons, some of which were rather dodgily hanging out with feral pigeons.

When we woke the next day we were passing through Chinese arable land, and went on to pass round and through some quite spectacular steep rocky gorges. The arable land (still snow-covered) produced Collared and Spotted Doves, a flock of Grey-capped Greenfinches, and perhaps surprisingly a couple of Grey-headed Woodpeckers. It was looking down into the river gorges that produced the best birds though, bird of the trip so far, Mandarin Duck, when a group of 6, and later a lone male, were spotted on unfrozen stretches. A single Crested Kingfisher, 2 Red-billed Blue Magpies, Large-billed Crow, Little Owl and more Asian Azure-winged Magpies, and Hill Pigeons were also seen before finally arriving in Beijing after 6 nights on a train. So finally worth dipping the Welsh Pechora Pipit after all !

Any comments on taxonomy on any of these birds welcome. Also in the likely event that I've probably made a glaring ID boob, and seen something I shouldn't have somewhere on this trip please tell me !

So new additions (with "A" lifers in bold caps and "B" lifers in bold little ):-

112 Black Grouse
Oriental Crow (tax ?)
113 Asian Azure-winged Magpie
114 Shore Lark
115 Short-eared Owl
116 Chough
117 Hill Pigeon
118 Golden Eagle
119 Japanese Buzzard (tax ?)
120 Black Vulture
121 Little Owl
122 MONGOLIAN LARK
123 Grey-headed Woodpecker
124 Spotted Dove
125 GREY-CAPPED GREENFINCH
126 Large-billed Crow
127 MANDARIN DUCK
128 Crested Kingfisher
129 Red-billed Blue Magpie

Last edited:
Beijing

Beijing - a city full of Tree Sparrows and Asian Azure-winged Magpies.

From our base at the delightful and cheap Downtown Backpackers hostel in central Beijing we visited the local Beihai Park, where the highlight was a whopping Chinese Grosbeak. We also saw 3 Light-vented Bulbuls, a Marsh Tit, and discovered that White-cheeked Starlings and Great Spotted Woodpeckers (light- and dark-bellied birds) were common in the city. Also some dodgy clip-winged Mandarin Ducks.

Yesterday we hired bicycles, and set off on a 30km round trip through at times hair-raising traffic conitions, to check out the new and old Summer Palaces. The New Summer Palace was very unproductive, and the lakes frozen over, but the north end of the Old Summmer Palace produced a small flock of Naumann's Thrush and a party of 4 very smart Yellow-throated Buntings. A large flock of Mallard contained no other duck species.

Off to Beidaihe in a minute.

130 WHITE-CHEEKED STARLING
131 LIGHT-VENTED BULBUL
132 CHINESE GROSBEAK
133 NAUMANN'S THRUSH
134 YELLOW-THROATED BUNTING

Last edited:
Beidaihe and the Great Wall

Not the time of year that most people visit this part of China, and certainly comparatively few species around, but still some good ones.

Mcaribou put us in touch with Miss Wang who did a wonderful job in sorting out our arrangements for our stay in the area. I'd recommend contacting her to anyone intending to visit Beidaihe on an independent trip.

We explored Beidaihe on bikes, as far south as the first two estuaries, and north to just past the reservoir. We could have been a bit luckier with gulls, but did find a nice adult Glaucous Gull, among the Vega, Mongolian, Common (including Kamchatka), and Black-headed Gulls. And a presumed taimyrensis type bird. Many thanks to Paul White in London for persuading us to borrow and take along his lightweight scope in the end ! Other birds on the sea were lots of Goldeneye and Great Crested Grebes and a couple of large rafts of Chinese Spot-billed Duck.

Lingering migrants included a stunning male Daurian Redstart, an Olive-backed Pipit and a flock of 20 Little Buntings. Tits comprised at least 3 Yellow-bellied, Long-tailed (caudatus and vinaceous), and some odd looking Great and Coal Tits. Oriental Turtle Doves were fairly common.

The trip to the Great Wall at Jiaoshan, with friendly driver Ivan, was more rewarding, with cracking views of Pere David's Laughingthrush, the weird Chinese Hill Warbler, a zonking male Godlewski's Bunting, a flock of 40 Vinous-throated Parrotbills, and special for me was a party of 10 or more Siberian Accentors, my 9th accentor species. There were few other birds but they included Common Pheasant, and Naumann's Thrush.

135 Oriental Turtle Dove
136 DAURIAN REDSTART
137 Vega Gull
Kamchatka Gull (tax ?)
138 COMMON PHEASANT
139 YELLOW-BELLIED TIT
140 Glaucous Gull
141 Olive-backed Pipit
142 CRESTED MYNA
143 Mongolian Gull
144 Chinese Spot-billed Duck
145 Little Bunting
146 PERE DAVID'S LAUGHINGTHRUSH
147 CHINESE HILL WARBLER
148 SIBERIAN ACCENTOR
149 GODLEWSKI'S BUNTING
150 VINOUS-THROATED PARROTBILL

So finally we're about to head south, off on an overnight train to Shanghai next.

Last edited:
Yangcheng and a surprise biggie !

BF's mcaribou, also known as Lin, met us at Shanghai train station, and took us back to stay in his flat, very kindly offering us his bed. He didn't catch us at our best as we had terrible colds, and got terribly lost in the station and went through a barrier we couldn't get back through, and got stuck in linguistic-confusion central. We eventually got led to where we'd arranged to meet Lin, all hot and sweaty, by a security lady with a walkie-talkie.

Up at 4.30 am for the bus trip to Yangcheng then a taxi to the town next to the reserve, only to scrape in the last hour's birdable light around town. Next day we hired bone-shaker bikes and set off in the fog for what was to turn out to be a hard slog, but with a blockbuster ending. The fog didn't clear until about 11, but we had some fun before then mostly going through flocks of Buntings in the reedy ditches and cotton fields. Rustic Bunting was well into 3 figures, with Little being common too, and there were lesser numbers of Black-faced, Yellow-throated, Pallas' Reed and Chestnut-eared. I didn't get onto a Tristram's found by Lin very well unfortunately and need to check some lit on that one.

After the fog lifted we cycled for miles on the bumpy tracks criss-crossing the huge area to the north of the core reserve looking for suitable habitat (we couldn't enter the reserve as we hadn't arranged it before our arrival). There were scores of large fish farming lagoons at different levels of fullness, mostly birdless, and 100s of reed (mostly cut) and cotton fields. By the time we decided to turn back we'd seen some great birds, the stars of the day being the charismatic Reed Parrotbills, about 100 Red-crowned Cranes, and a flock of gulls containing about 150 Saunders' Gulls. Other highlights had been 3 Chinese Grey Shrikes, a party of Chinese Penduline Tits, Falcated Ducks and Bean Geesethat were seen in flight only and quite distantly but thought to look like Tundra. We also saw plenty of Buff-bellied Pipits, Smew, a Marsh Sandpiper, a couple of Hen Harriers, 100 + Common Cranes and Dusky Warbler etc.

On the way back from the Saunders' Gull flock, Lin spotted an interesting looking mergus on a lagoon on the other side of a river, in a small gathering of Pochard and Smew. The more we looked at this bird the more excited we got as it appeared obviously merganser-like, with it's exaggeratedly shaggy rusty crest (though the crest looked longer and more swept back than Red-breasted Merganser) and the bird was large compared to the Pochard and built to recall Goosander. We had to really strain to check the flanks but Lin was convinced he briefly could make out a scaly pattern ! We were in a crazy situation. We didn't have much decent light left but we were'nt going to get conclusive views from this side of the river. We then had to cycle like crazy away from the bird for about 3km of bumpiness, growling and barking dogs at our heels for 1km of it, before we got to a bridge. We then had 2km of crazy pedalling back along the other bank of the river until, we reached the turn off we could see we had to be on to view the bird. On reaching this turnoff we discovered it was a scrubby uncyclable bank, so we did the last 500m on foot panting as we aproached the lagoon. I panicked as the Smew took flight, but they alighted again after circling, but there was at first no sign of the merg in the Pochard flock. It had swum too close to the near bank. Lin spotted it first and we scoped it and......SCALY-SIDED MERGANSER !!!!!!!!B :):clap::D . Wow. A bird a never thought I'd ever see and a lifer for Lin too, but I guess if you're going to jam into one then here was as good a place as any. We had a weary cycle back in the dark before we could get any beers.

Next morning was too foggy for much but we did see a (presumed) Northern Red-flanked Bluetail before the buses back to Shanghai and saying goodbye to Lin. Without him we'd have found getting to and around Yangcheng very tough indeed and he's a great guy to bird with, thanks a lot bud:t:. Nicky and I Feel a bit like lost kids in a supermarket in China.

We didn't connect with a few goodies also possible at Yangcheng. Other birders have see Black-faced Spoonbill, Ochre-rumped Bunting, Japanese Quail, Eastern Marsh Harrier.

So from the train to Shanghai and Yangcheng :
151 Long-tailed Shrike
152 Hoopoe
Chinese Blackbird (tax)?
153 CHINESE GREY SHRIKE
154 COLLARED CROW
155 RED-BILLED STARLING
156 Night Heron
157 Great Egret
158 Merlin
159 PALLAS' REED BUNTING
160 REED PARROTBILL
161 Rustic Bunting
162 BLACK-FACED BUNTING
163 Dusky Warbler
164 Chestnut-eared Bunting
165 Buff-bellied Pipit
166 RED-CROWNED CRANE
167 Hen Harrier
168 Chinese Penduline Tit
169 Common Crane
170 (Tundra ?) Bean Goose
171 Falcated Duck
172 Common Sandpiper
173 Smew
174 Spotted Redshank
175 Grey Plover
176 SAUNDERS' GULL
177 Marsh Sandpiper
178 Greenshank
179 SCALY-SIDED MERGANSER;)
180 Northern Red-flanked Bluetail
181 Woodcock

edit: oops, forgot to mention that Lin and Nicky saw Chinese Pond Heron too (would have been a lifer for me !). Apparently they're rare in winter that far north.

Last edited:
sitting wraping Xmas presents and feeling suitably jealous. Sounds like a brilliant trip. Well done on the Merganser!!

Hi Laz. Great stuff so far. Had to look up the Merg (as I'd never heard of it), but now that I have I realise why it was such a buzz! Nice one! Keep up the fascinating reports.:t:

PS. Had to look up Kagu too - what a smart beast! Please say hi to Nicky for me...:hi:

Hi Larry

Scaly-sided Merg is one bird I would really like to see....

anyone who's wondering should check these:

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...result&Bird_ID=212&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...result&Bird_ID=212&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1
http://www.birdskorea.org/images2005/ssmergjan05withed.jpg
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?action=searchresult&Bird_ID=212

and well done with the Chinese Hill Warbler and on the Saunders' Gulls too - a nice number of them!

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone and Merry Christmas to you wherever you are. We've just arrived in Chengdu, maybe we'll pop over to Du Fu's tomorrow for the chance of a christmas day lifer.

Chengdu

Spent christmas period in Chengdu. Got some birding in at Du Fu's (DF), the tiny Live Water Park in the north of the city (LWP), and the Panda Breeding centre 10km from the centre (PB). Also saw some birds just in the streets by the river (S)

Highlights were White-browed Laughingthrush (DF , LWP , S), Ashy-throated Parrotbill at least 2 with Vinous-throated Parrotbill flock (DF), Fukien Slaty Bunting 4+ (PB), Rufous-faced Warbler flocks (LWP , PB ), flocks of Black-throated Tits (LWP , S ) and Yellow-bellied Tits (DF , PB).

The tit and warbler flocks also contained a fair few Phylloscopus warblers. I'd forgotten what a nightmare they can be as the flocks move quickly on! Loads of calls , but which birds are making them ? Was that median crown stripe on the same bird as the underparts of the bird you saw 2 seconds before ? I managed to id 1 Pallas's, 1 Buff-barred, a couple of Ashy-throated, and got a reasonable look at a Pallas's-type bird whose median crown stripe was less defined and greyer towards the bill, and more washed out dull cream at the rear. Rump quite strongly yellowish. Thought it looked less compact than Pallas's too, but what do I know. Any ideas ? (Chinese ? Gansu ? Sichuan ? Lemon-rumped ? Pallas's ?....Aaaaaargh !!!!) Nicky hates Phylloscs...very sensible. Also had sketchy views of a couple of Bush-Warblers....Hmmmm. One looked liked (and might have been)Brownish-flanked, and the other..er.. didn't.

Other stuff included Red-rumped Swallows (wouldn't put a million quid on them not being Striated ), our first Barn Swallow of the trip, Red-billed Leiothrix, Red-flanked Bluetail Sp.,4 Grey-capped Greenfinch (PB), Plumbeous Redstart (S), and a Green-backed Tit (PB).

So nothing spectacular, but a nice Christmas. Fingers crossed for some birdable weather at Emei Shan.

I'd also like to say a big goodbye to Magpie, the only bird that until Chengdu was with us every step of the way from Bristol.

182 Black-throated Tit
183 Pallas's Warbler
184 WHITE-BROWED LAUGHINGTHRUSH
185 Plumbeous Redstart
186 Red-rumped Swallow
187 Ashy-throated Parrotbill
188 Red-billed Leiothrix
189 RUFOUS-FACED WARBLER
190 Ashy-throated Warbler
191 FUKIEN SLATY BUNTING
192 Green-backed Tit
193 Swallow
194 Buff-barred Warbler

Here's a link to some of our holiday snaps http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickateers. Unfortunately we don't have digiscoping gear so there's hardly any birds.

Last edited:
Chengdu is a great city and Du Fu's Cottage probably the nicest and birdiest park in China. The Bunting is the mega out of this lot and a very good bird.

It is likely that all your Red-rumped Swallows were indeed Red-rumps - striated occurs only in Yunnan and its pretty rare there too.

Did either of your bush-wrblers go in for tail-cocking accompanied by regular ticking calls? - if so, Brownish-flanked is most likely, as you suggest, especially if you also got a grey supercilium.

I envy you Emei - I've had great success there in winter, although its pretty cold, especially higher up. Its also the best place I've ever been for forktails - Little, Slaty-backed, White-crowned and Spotted all possible and not too difficult. And topping even these the real possibility of Lady Amhert's Pheasant and Temminck's Tragopan!

There are not too many species to go for on the top, especially in the snow, but they are pretty good ones - especially if you can find Grey-hooded and Great Parrotbills. I did very well arund the bottom - Fuhu (Emei Liocichla) and Wannian (Golden Parrotbill, Speckled Piculet, Collared Grosbeak, Black-headed Sibia) monasteries (especially the catchment trail to the left of the complex) I remember as being very good, as were the grounds of the Hongzhushan Hotel.

I understand this has gone way up-market now, but in 1991 it was a decrepit government-run hotel with horrible outside toilets, although on my first morning there I did get Streak-throated Barwing behind those toilets, and Japanese Waxwing in a tree overhead shortly after sorting out my first ever female Plumbeous Redstart, which was tail-flicking on the roof! The grounds have several lakes and lots of mature trees, so its well worth a visit - and even staying if the budget will stretch to it.

Loooking forward to hearing how you get on.

Mike

Cheers Mike, funnilly enough it's your '91 trip report that's all I've got to go on ! That Hotel you stayed in's pretty posh now so we've checked into the Teddy Bear Backpacker's and I've had an afternoon up as far as Fuhu so far. I'd really like to find this catchment trail from Wannian (Lady A etc if lucky). Anyone got clear directions to it ? Snow on the summit right now at the mo apparently, but we reckon on heading up there tomorrow afternoon to overnight, and walk down to the Tragopan area by the next night. Hope we can manage it !

Got a couple of id probs if anyone can help :

1. At Leshan (near Emei Shan in south Sichuan) today a Riparia martin was abundant over the river and the only hirundine present. They looked consistantly considerably greyer than Sand Martin and always a touch paler, so I figured they were one of the subsp of Pale Martin. The breast band was pretty obvious however (though difficult to determine how bold exactly at range), and I'm unfamiliar with ijimae Sand Martin and what they look like. The conditions were constantly overcast too which would effect the colour. The vocals were quite Sand Martin-like , but lacked their most characteristic harsh loud churr, and had some less familiar more nasal buzzy notes. Anyone know what I "should be" seeing here just now, or have any advice on the id of these forms or how similar they do actually appear ?

2. Niltava (female) at Emei Shan today. Called regularly with a thick "tchk". Strongly rufous tail, less strongly (but still) rufous wings. Unds strongly fulvous-tinged, including throat, becoming whitish on vent. Normally revealed no white gorget until it stretched it's head once showing it had one ! Forecrown grey mergeing into browner hindcrown and buffier on cheeks. Again what am I supposed to be seeing here? I've seen Fukien reported in Winter and Vivid in Summer , and presumably Rufous-bellied may be possible.

Thanks for any help on these.

edit: by the way Mike, the Bush-Warbler was cocking it's tail like a mad thing and did have a grey super and unscaled buffish-utcvts. I was thrown a bit by the greyish-looking flanks though ! Reckon I'll armchair-it on the trip list as Brownish-flanked Bush-Warbler. Saw Yellowish-bellied today at the Leshan Buddah too.

Last edited:
Aiya - If I'd known you were going to Leshan I'd jhave advised you to check out the Buddha for Wallcreeper - I had one crawling around on its chest in late October 96!

Martin taxnomy has gone gaga with complicated and unclear differentiation between Pale Martin and Sand Martin. Both may winter - we get both ijimae and fokiensis in Hk and even our records committee are not quite sure which is which, so . . . can't really be of much help, I'm afraid.

As for Niltavas, in winter I think it has to be Fujian - the only one resident in cental Sichuan. Did you see the blue niltava patch on the side of the neck?

Very interested to know what else you saw . . .

The trail at Wannian is/was easy to find. go to the main gate and follow the wall round to the rght until you find a trail alongside a catchment ditch.

A warning the steps to and from Xianfeng (best area for tragopans and Lady A's are very steep and very icy - proceed with care!!)

Cheers

Mike

What a fantastic thread. I'm extremely envious of the Merg - a bird I've wanted to see ever since the publication of Madge and Burn. The top photo-link on Tim's post has just whetted my appetite even further.

Keep the updates coming Larry!

Emei Shan

On the way we overnighted at Leshan to check out the Grand Buddha. Saw a few good birds including what I'm going to call Pale Martin for now.

195 PALE MARTIN
196 Little Ringed Plover
197 River Chat
198 COLLARED FINCHBILL
199 Yellowish-bellied Bush-Warbler
200 Pygmy Wren Babbler
201 Ruddy Shelduck
202 Rufous-capped Babbler

and an armchair tick from Chengdu (seen a few at Emei since too)

203 Brownish-flanked Bush-Warbler

so on to Emei Shan. What can I say, quite possibly the most beautiful and spectacular place I've ever been. And plenty of birds too. The first full day was blinding, with too many birds to mention between our Teddy Bear hostel and just beyond Fuhu Monastery. Lots of large mixed flocks. Highlights were 2 Emei Shan Liocichlas about 200m past Fuhu near a large pink wall, and a flock of about 40 cute little Golden Parrotbills. We caught the bus to the summit in the afternoon and found ourselves in a different snow-covered world of jagged precipitous forested crags plunging into a sea of clouds below, with a gang of Alpine Accentors feeding at our feet by the spectacular multi-faced golden deity statue. Very few other birds up here, but some tame Streak-throated Fulvettas and a few Tit species. We overnighted near the summit.

Next day the descent was dissapointingly birdless (notable lack of parrotbills of which there are a few options). In fact we saw and heard virtually nothing until we reached the bottom of the valley before the ascent to Xian Feng (now no longer snow-covered) at about 1pm. A couple of birds started appearing, a flock of Golden Parrotbills and a Spotted Forktail, but then the day was saved by a bird I wasn't expecting as I didn't know it occurred here, the recently described (and not in the field guide) Sichuan Treecreeper. It's only thanks to a trip report that I know what they look like. When we arrived at Xian Feng there was a smart welcoming committee of Maroon-backed Acentors and a stunning tame male White-throated Redstart. Overnight at the monastery.

The descent at dawn started well with a male White-browed Bush-Robin but we only saw 5 birds between the monastery and a stop for coffee at the precariously perched Cha You snack bar. Luckily 2 of them were TEMMINCK'S TRAGOPANS B :) , 2 of the others being Spotted Laughingthrush was pretty cool too. Unfortunately we saw little else of note on New Year's Eve all the way to Wannian, and the trail became incredibly busy, including "roadworks" from Hongchun down. At least a few mixed species flocks started appearing and we had a male White-browed Shortwing, and a male Fukien Niltava so close that Nicky got a pic with our little camera (hope to post it later!).

So New Years Day had a lot of potential. We spent the morning on what I'm pretty sure is the famous water-catchment trail, but unfortunately failed to connect with any of several possible target birds. We did manage a Bay Woodpecker, a frustrating poorly seen female Pheasant sp, and a bloke with a gun. We then descended to the Wannian bus stop, plenty of birds but I just couldn't connect with a NYD lifer :C Spent a couple of ours in the evening thrashing the forest edge at the bottom of the mountain but still failed to find any of several possible new birds amongst 100s of birds. This may sound spoilt and greedy but you should see what's possible here in winter (eh Mike ? ;)). So PLEEEEESE Mt Emei, give us something tomorrow will you ? OK so I'm losing it a bit.

These are the birds we saw new for the trip, many of which would be rather tricky at Chew Valley Lake :

204 Slaty-backed Forktail
205 White-tailed Robin
206 HWAMEI
207 FUKIEN NILTAVA
208 Golden-breasted Fulvetta
209 Yellow-bellied Fantail
210 Streak-breasted Scimitar-Babbler
211 Black-headed Sibia
212 Magpie-Robin
213 FORK-TAILED SUNBIRD
214 Red-tailed Minla
215 White-browed Shrike-Babbler
216 Black-chinned Yuhina
217 Blue Whistling-Thrush
218 Blue-winged Minla
219 Bar-tailed Treecreeper
220 Yellow-browed Tit
221 EMEI SHAN LIOCICHLA
222 Chestnut-headed Tesia
223 GOLDEN PARROTBILL
224 Snowy-browed Flycatcher
225 White-rumped Munia
226 Asian Barred Owlet
227 Rufous-vented Tit
228 STREAK-THROATED FULVETTA
229 Grey-crested Tit
230 CHESTNUT-VENTED NUTHATCH
231 Alpine Accentor
232 Darjeeling Woodpecker
233 Spotted Forktail
234 SICHUAN TREECREEPER
235 Crimson-breasted Woodpecker
236 Chestnut Thrush
237 Maroon-backed Accentor
238 White-throated Redstart
239 White-browed Bush-Robin
240 TEMMINCK'S TRAGOPAN
241 Spotted Laughingthrush
242 Stripe-throated Yuhina
243 Grey-cheeked Fulvetta
244 Chestnut-crowned Warbler
245 Little Forktail
246 White-browed Shortwing
247 Mountain Bulbul
248 Collared Owlet
249 Bay Woodpecker
250 Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher

I am a Nerd.

So if I don't see one of the 16 species Mike saw that would be new for me tomorrow then this'll probably be my last post cos I'll be sulking ;)

Happy new year everyone

Here's the link to the Fukien Niltava photo (bit dark but no editing software available)http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickateers/2154539736/
and the accentor http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickateers/2154529814/
and a Darjeeling Woodpecker http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickateers/2154534970/

Last edited:
Emei Shan slight return

Sorry about drunken post last night. For the record, Nicky was drunk enough to type in the "I'm a nerd", and I was drunk enough to think "fair enough, let's leave it in."

What a day. Don't think I'll give up birding after all.

Thrashed the local area upstream for a couple of hours before breakfast still in a bit of a huff and still not scoring much new except a Seicercus sp with not much white in the tail and rather faint greyish coronal stripes. Great. Nice White-crowned Forktail though, reminding me that I should do the right thing and join the OBC when I get an address to get the mag sent to.

Back for breakfast and off with Nicky on what turned out to be an all day walk via Leyin to Qinying and back. Immediately past Leiyin we came upon a small group of birds shuffling about in the lush veg. The obligatory Streak-breasted Scimitar-Babblers were this time acompanied by 3 Emei Shan Liocichlas and 2 blinding Red-winged Laughingthrushes. We score ! That would have been enough to put a smile on my face all day but it was just a taste of things to come. Over a ridge and down into more cultivated habitat where we came across a group of 5 Brown Bullfinches an a bizarre-looking Bull-headed Shrike, far more orange-headed than I had expected this bird to look. We picked up some more good birds, a group of White-browed Shrike-Babblers and Nicky plucked a Speckled Piculet from a mixed flock. Then we found another group of Laughingthrushes, and Liocichlas, this time with 2 Moustached Laughingthrushes and 4 or 5 Red-wingeds. Cool. Then things got silly. About 500m before Quinying a large group of Blackbirds drew us off the trail into an area of second growth with lots of leaf litter. We started flushing White's Thrushes, maybe 5 or 6, then became aware that the whole area was filled with the sound of tossing leaves. We had just run into the largest Laughingthrush flock I've ever seen, maybe around 200 birds including an associated gang of 30 or so Grey-headed Parrotbills. They were mostly Rusty and White-throated Laughingthrushes with a few Red-winged too. A truly incredible sight. Emei Shan all is forgiven !! We were elated on arrival at the Quinyin area, where we had the pleasure of watching a Brown Dipper swiming around in a surprisingly deep clear pool, diving and looking like a miniature Guillemot. Fantastic. We were exhausted and stiff walking home, but just when we thought it was all over, a rummaging in some scrub half way home turned out to be an Elliot's Laughingthrush. With a good few Hwamei and a group of White-browed Laughingthrushes seen earlier that day, that took the days total to an incredible 7 Laughingthrush species. What a day.

Gradually heading south to Vietnam over the next week, probably won't post for a while.

251 White-crowned Forktail
252 RED-WINGED LAUGHINGTHRUSH
253 Brown Bullfinch
254 BULL-HEADED SHRIKE
255 Speckled Piculet
256 MOUSTACHED LAUGHINGTHRUSH
257 White's Thush (tax ?)
258 RUSTY LAUGHINGTHRUSH
259 White-throated Laughingthrush
260 Grey-headed Parrotbill
261 Brown Dipper
262 Blue-fronted Redstart
263 Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush
264 Black Bulbul
265 ELLIOT'S LAUGHINGTHRUSH

Ah . . . lower Emei in winter - wonderful stuff Larry, bringing back very happy memories, and well done on nailing the tragopan - one of my all-time favourites, and like you I've only seen female Lady A's.

Mixed flocks of feeding laughers are superb - and yours was bigger than my best, and I haven't seen Rusty Laugher or Grey-headed Parrotbill there.

Cheers

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back