• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"brown" flycatcher Shanghai (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

I believe my options are Asian Brown, Gray-streaked and dark-sided. This is one of the times I really wish I had a nicer camera and thus more clear pictures to offer.

I'm thinking it is Asian Brown for the following reasons...

Longer bill than dark-sided
shorter wings than gray-streaked
bright white eye-ring
relatively unmarked throat and chest

Please correct me if I've missed something or made an incorrect statement, if you happen to have the time.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• i 1 fly 2.jpg
    i 1 fly 2.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 30
  • i 1 fly 3.jpg
    i 1 fly 3.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 31
  • i 1 fly 4.jpg
    i 1 fly 4.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 33
  • i 1 fly 5.jpg
    i 1 fly 5.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 36
  • i 1 fly.jpg
    i 1 fly.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 31
I see a firm and broad bill and what looks like a lighter bill base, that indicates Asian Brown to me. I notice no streaking or a contrasting white throat either.

Mind I am no expert on the subject, having seen only two handfuls of brownish flycatchers in Japan.

cheers,
Gerben

Last edited:
Shouldn't it support Dark-sided as they are darker and hence more prominent eyering making it look like brighter?
The birds I've ID'ed as dark-sided are much more obviously dark-sided than this. There's clear contrast between flanks and belly. I'd call this asian brown too. Michael

Thanks, Michael! AB was my first instinct. I think Vyomkesh may have been making the point that "bright eyering" wasn't a great separator from DS because I asked for advise on my observations. Either way, having discussions on this forum and finding people willing to critique my thoughts has been a great help as I'm learning. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Cheers,

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back