• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Budget 16x binoculars or straight scope? (2 Viewers)

Peregrine Took

United Kingdom
Thinking about having a pair of high power budget (sub-£300) bins for casual viewing from the car - for more reach when I don't have my scope and tripod with me.

What would you recommend? Kowa SVP, Nikon 16x50?

Or should I buy a straight scope like the Kowa TSN-502 or Opticron MM3 50mm?

What would / do you do?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The only sub-£1000 high powered binoculars I've tried have been to my eyes awful. I'd pick up something like the straight ED50 which is pretty decent.

The only sub-£1000 high powered binoculars I've tried have been to my eyes awful. I'd pick up something like the straight ED50 which is pretty decent.
A Nikon ED50 with eyepiece for under £300? Show me.
I personally would opt for a second hand Opticron with low magnification lens for watching from a car....with a bean bag, rather than a x 16 binocular.

Thanks folks. Confirmation of my thoughts, that a small (straight) scope will be better than high powered but low quality bins. An Opticron MM3 body would make most sense, as I have the 60mm MM4, angled.

It really depends what you want to see IMO. If trying to nail down ID features of static birds at long distances nothing will beat a scope; if trying to watch action (eg. hobbies hunting martins over wetland areas) binoculars are far preferable, although I personally wouldn't go too high in magnification (definitely not 16x) as wobble and small FOV work against you. Also, the higher the magnification the more difficult it is to make an optical device (which means expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back