• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buffalo, NY - Hawks ID (1 Viewer)

spresutti

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping you can help me out. I had the opportunity to visit the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge near Buffalo, NY last week while on travel for work (I'm from Florida). I went to an overlook that viewed a marsh with many ducks/geese. As I moved closer I scared some of the closest birds away and noticed a type of hawk/falcon darting into the flock.

I got a few poor pictures of it, and was hoping for some help on the ID. Initially I thought it was only 1 bird, but from viewing the pictures I think there was two different species. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Stephen

Attachments

• Merlin?.jpg
    Merlin?.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 162
  • CoopersHawk?.jpg
    CoopersHawk?.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 159
The first bird is a juvenile Peregine. The jizz with broad bases to the wings tells you this but an additional very concrete feature is the barred tail-coverts.

The first bird is a juvenile Peregine. The jizz with broad bases to the wings tells you this but an additional very concrete feature is the barred tail-coverts.

My first thought on opening the image was perigrine, but in all fairness, I can see barred tail feathers, not UTC.

Niels

My first thought on opening the image was perigrine, but in all fairness, I can see barred tail feathers, not UTC.

Niels

You may have to zoom in to see the barring well, but on this picture it is actually much easier to see the barring on the UTC than on the rectrices. To avoid misunderstandings I want to point to the fact that the three fairly obvious dark bars you see behind the claws are actually on the UTC as is the barring you see at the sides of the feet.

The wings are far to wide at the base for Merlin and the tail looks to long for Peregrine. The head, on the other hand, looks a bit to small and protrubant for either. Accipter? Sharpshin?

Chris

You may have to zoom in to see the barring well, but on this picture it is actually much easier to see the barring on the UTC than on the rectrices. To avoid misunderstandings I want to point to the fact that the three fairly obvious dark bars you see behind the claws are actually on the UTC as is the barring you see at the sides of the feet.

I studied another couple of peregrine photos, and the UTC was indeed more bulky than I remembered. Thanks

Niels

Wow, thanks everyone for your feedback. It appears my initial ID was wrong on both accounts, glad I asked. I agree with phil baber's ID of the second one as a Northern Harrier. It doesn't sound like anyone else disagrees either.

Can someone help me out by explaining what UTC stands for? Thanks!

Undertail coverts: "Long, often rather fluffy, contour feathers attaching to the underside of the tail bone that cover the base of the undertail."

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back