• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulbul problems with ID in Malaysia (1 Viewer)

TeamLeip

United States
Greetings, I was in the Penang Botanical Gardens this morning. I saw three different birds that seem to be Bulbuls. The first I think is an Olive Winged, the second bird, picture 2 and 3, could be Red Eye Bulbul. Buff Vented or Spectacled. The third bird, the last two pictures, is also a toss up for me to identify but it is fun to see the two birds going at each other. Finally a cool picture of a Crested Myna...can't seem to spot the Jungle Myna

Attachments

• Olive Winged Bulbul (Malaysia).JPG
    Olive Winged Bulbul (Malaysia).JPG
    612.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7208.JPG
    IMG_7208.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7211.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7219.JPG
    IMG_7219.JPG
    822.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7220.JPG
    IMG_7220.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7233a.JPG
    IMG_7233a.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 26
orange eye = Red-eyed Bulbul.
1st pic - correct, can see the olive outer wing = Olive-winged Bulbul

James

ps - Jason, note it's peninsular Malaysia, so the Cream-vented there have white eyes (+ in addition, in Borneo, Cream-vented has a red, not orange eye, which separates it easiest from Red-eyed there).

James

ps - Jason, note it's peninsular Malaysia, so the Cream-vented there have white eyes (+ in addition, in Borneo, Cream-vented has a red, not orange eye, which separates it easiest from Red-eyed there).

Aha thanks for the tip for the CVB in Peninsular.

James

So it is the red eye bulbul?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back