• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bullfinch ID (1 Viewer)

eanin1

Any suggestions on this bullfinch?
I suspected northern bullfinch due to the following.
it was present around the same rowan trees as a flock of redwings and some waxwings in Dublin last week.
It was approachable to several yards and was feeding constantly on rowan berries unperturbed by birders and photographers.
I have being checking various articles on the net and some pointers they mention are the saw tooth effect on the upper side of the wing bar and white being present on the underside of the tail.Unfortunately it did not call while we were there.

regards

SG

Attachments

• BullfinchDSC00223 - Copy.jpg
    BullfinchDSC00223 - Copy.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 71
  • Left wingbar.JPG
    Left wingbar.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 48
  • Right wingbar.JPG
    Right wingbar.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 40
  • UndertailDSC00205 - Copy.JPG
    UndertailDSC00205 - Copy.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 38
I see what you're saying about the wing bar but I'm not sure it's pronounced enough?

Here's a definite one from Russia for comparison.

A

Attachments

• 20150208055650760.jpg
    20150208055650760.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
It seems to be a bit of a minefield alright with the wing bar and the various edges. Reading an article by the late Martin Garner, he mentioned something about bullfinch from an easterly direction having a more bleeding effect with the white of the wing bar running into the black feathers giving more prominence to the saw tooth appearance.

It seems to be a bit of a minefield alright with the wing bar and the various edges. Reading an article by the late Martin Garner, he mentioned something about bullfinch from an easterly direction having a more bleeding effect with the white of the wing bar running into the black feathers giving more prominence to the saw tooth appearance.

I think it's clear to see that the 'saw tooth' edge to the Russian bird I posted, is far more defined than yours?
Northern birds are a fair bit bigger as well I think although without a side by side comparison it may be hard to judge.

This bird was in the same flock as the above in what I concluded was a mixed race flock. It may be size illusion but look how big that female appears to be in the background.

A

Attachments

• 20150208060936974.jpg
    20150208060936974.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back