• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall LNR (1 Viewer)

Two hours on the patch gave me 34 species with one patch tick House Martin x2 this being my 100th species for Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall |=)| . Also seen Yellow Legged Gull x1 Adult, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Whitethroat x1, Stock Dove x3, Song Thrush x3, Lesser Black Back x12, Herring Gull x2, House Sparrow x8, & Swallow x2.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
This is a list of the 100 species I have how seen at Bumble Hole & Warrens Hall
Good Birding YAMYAM

*Little Grebe
*Cormorant
*Grey Heron
*Mute Swan
*Canada Goose
*Mallard
*Shoveler
*Goosander
*Red Kite
*Goshawk
*Sparrowhawk
*Buzzard
*Osprey
*Kestrel
*Merlin
*Pheasant
*Grey Partridge
*Water Rail
*Moorhen
*Coot
*Little Ringed Plover
*Woodcock
*Snipe
*Whimbrel
*Black-headed Gull
*Common Gull
*Lesser Black-backed Gull
*Herring Gull
*Yellow Legged Gull
*Glaucous gull
*Great Black-backed Gull
*Common Tern
*Feral Pigeon
*Stock Dove
*Woodpigeon
*Collared Dove
*Cuckoo
*Little Owl
*Tawny Owl
*Short Eared Owl
*Kingfisher
*Green Woodpecker
*Great Spotted Woodpecker
*Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
*Sky Lark
*Swallow
*House Martin
*Meadow Pipit
*Yellow Wagtail
*Grey Wagtail
*Pied Wagtail
*Waxwing
*Wren
*Dunnock
*Robin
*Redstart
*Stonechat
*Wheatear
*Ring Ouzel
*Blackbird
*Fieldfare
*Song Thrush
*Redwing
*Mistle Thrush
*Grasshopper Warbler
*Sedge Warbler
*Lesser Whitethroat
*Whitethroat
*Garden Warbler
*Blackcap
*Wood Warbler
*Chiffchaff
*Willow Warbler
*Goldcrest
*Long-tailed Tit
*Marsh Tit
*Willow Tit
*Coal Tit
*Blue Tit
*Great Tit
*Nuthatch
*Treecreeper
*Jay
*Magpie
*Jackdaw
*Rook
*Carrion Crow
*Raven
*Starling
*House Sparrow
*Chaffinch
*Greenfinch
*Goldfinch
*Siskin
*Linnet
*Lesser Redpoll
*Mealy Redpoll
*Bullfinch
*Yellowhammer
*Reed Bunting

A two hour visit today gave me 36 species one being a patch tick Swift (101) x6 also seen House Martin x2, Swallow x3, Blackcap x6 male, Whitethroat x1, Garden Warbler x1, Raven x1, Sedge Warbler x1, Chiffchaff 7+ & Willow Warbler x4
Good Birding YAMYAM

On Patch for 06:15 for two hours gave me 39 species main highlight being a female type Marsh Harrier over Warrens Hall bird came in fairly low over one of the Horse Paddocks and lost to view over the Golf course this being new for me and site my patch list now on 102 site list now on 117. Also seen Swift c20+,Swallow c10+, Raven x1, Bullfinch x2, Pied Wagtail x3, Goldcrest x1, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers, Buzzard x3, Green Woodpecker x1, Song Thrush x4 and Stock Dove x2.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
On the patch early today 06:30 for three hours have a Greenhouse to build on my Allotment later today could take a while! I had 36 species on the patch with a pending patch & site tick Ring Necked Parakeet I first picked the bird up by call flying around the top end of Warrens Hall Farm near the Stables the bird was in good condition plumage wise with no rings. I would like the opinion of others about putting this bird on the list please. Also seen today Stock Dove x2, Song Thrush x1, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Swallows, House Martins, Lesser Black Back x16, Herring Gull x3, Great Spotted Woodpecker x1, Jackdaw x3, Treecreeper and Reed Bunting x 1 male only my 2nd record on the patch.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Greenhouse sorted just the glass to put in, four hours and a pint in the clubhouse not bad. After a little time to reflect on the status of Ring Necked Parakeet in the West Midlands county (over a pint of Banks Mild) and replies from Steve & Keith I have decided to add the Parakeet to the list after all its on the W,M,B,C list also counted at Sandwell Valley,Clayhanger, Belvide & Chasewater to name but a few so my list moves up to 103 and the site up to 118.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Greenhouse sorted just the glass to put in, four hours and a pint in the clubhouse not bad. After a little time to reflect on the status of Ring Necked Parakeet in the West Midlands county (over a pint of Banks Mild) and replies from Steve & Keith I have decided to add the Parakeet to the list after all its on the W,M,B,C list also counted at Sandwell Valley,Clayhanger, Belvide & Chasewater to name but a few so my list moves up to 103 and the site up to 118.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Don't worry about what you tick, its your local patch and you're only in competition with yourself. Ironically its only a twenty minute walk from where I live and I've never been birding over there :eek!:

Tick what you want altho i would never class them as 'wild' - feral maybe with self-sustaining populations.

Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie......Will the passing of time mean they could step up to British status.....as the saying goes(sorry Mr Caine)...but "not a lot of people know that"....The Little Owl was in such a state for a long time......
only from Wiki but....
The Little Owl (Athene noctua) is a bird which is resident in much of the temperate and warmer parts of Europe, Asia east to Korea, and north Africa. It is not native to Great Britain, but was first introduced in 1842,[2] by Thomas Powys and is now naturalised there. It was also successfully introduced to the South Island of New Zealand in the early 20th century.

Not having a go-just an interesting fact.
Keith :t:

In the light of modern-day birding it would have been interesting to have seen whether Little Owl would have colonised? The introductions apparantly came from Holland - possibly the source of some of our Eagle Owl records? There are also fossil records from Derbyshire from over half a million years ago that shows that it was once a 'British' bird much in the same way as Swallowtails and Large Blues.

Then of course there are Bustards, Red Kites and Cranes but i cannot see RNP and the associated spp being included in Category A.

There are plans afoot to start poisoning them with gas canisters at their Winter roosts due to the competition for nesting cavities. That should prove to be interesting depending on which side of the fence you are on?

Don't worry about what you tick, its your local patch and you're only in competition with yourself. Ironically its only a twenty minute walk from where I live and I've never been birding over there :eek!:

Hi Steve you would not like it one little bit its a nasty place you just leave it to me |=)|
Good Birding YAMYAM

[QUOTE

There are plans afoot to start poisoning them with gas canisters at their Winter roosts due to the competition for nesting cavities. That should prove to be interesting depending on which side of the fence you are on?

Laurie

Ruddy Ducks all over again ! |:(|
Good Birding YAMYAM

In the light of modern-day birding it would have been interesting to have seen whether Little Owl would have colonised? The introductions apparantly came from Holland - possibly the source of some of our Eagle Owl records? There are also fossil records from Derbyshire from over half a million years ago that shows that it was once a 'British' bird much in the same way as Swallowtails and Large Blues.

Then of course there are Bustards, Red Kites and Cranes but i cannot see RNP and the associated spp being included in Category A.

Don't get me started on all these "foreign" Kites coming over here and eating Welsh butchers meat !!

Having a continuing thick spell (started just a I went to school in 1956) but can you enlarge on the initials....lol

Keith :t:

Hi Steve you would not like it one little bit its a nasty place you just leave it to me |=)|
Good Birding YAMYAM

By sheer coincidence I was over there tonight (Monday) but for reasons of work, not birding. I can't believe how its changed since I was last over there.

While I was on my way to my brother’s along the Dudley Road this pm I had a Cormorant fly over, not far from the Car Park to Warrens Hall. This was my second bird for the patch that was also a fly over job.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Steve would you say it's changed for the better? And how has it changed?
Good Birding YAMYAM[/QUO

When I was younger the whole of the Warrens Hall park area was open fields, with hedgerows and pools with natural sloping shorelines. Just across Rowley Road there was some woodland leading up to Rough hill quarry and Warrens hall farm. Now trees have sprung up everywhere, and to be quite honest I found it quite 'claustrophobic' with all the cover.
Evenso, I should imagine its a good local patch in as much as it doesn't get crowded and there is plenty of ground to cover.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back