• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Today I saw this Bunting along the Baltic sea on the coast in some low vegetation.. For me it looks like a Reed Bunting, but I find it an odd place for a Reed Bunting and chances for rare migrators are here, so just want to be sure it's just a Reed Bunting..

Thanks

Attachments

• Bunting.jpg
    Bunting.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Bunting1.jpg
    Bunting1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Bunting2.jpg
    Bunting2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 68
This is actually really typical this time of the year. When searching for rarities around Hel as we did in the previous for years, there were always many of Reed Buntings during good migration days.

Thanks for info Jan..

It was actually mainly because I see reports of Rustic Bunting and Little Bunting from around Hel at this time of the year I wanted to be sure.. Usually they are never spotted around here in the western part of Poland, where I live, but one time must be the first.. :)

I was in Swinouscje and around last weekend. There are good habitats for migrating birds, but the area was pretty quiet, it's probably disadvantaged by the shape of the sea cost compared to Hel. But seeing how there are interesting records in nearby German sites, as well as at Mierzeja Wislana which is also inside a deep bay, I think something has to be found along the western coast occasionally and the more people looking the better.

Area around Swinoujscie is actually my main area for birding.. :)

Both Rustic Bunting and Little Bunting have never been found around here, as far as I can see on the record list, the closest is in Darłowo, around 200 km more east along the coast, where they have bird ringing station.. I would expect the shape of the coast, as you mentioned, is a disadvantage for the area, and the amount of people birding here is also limited, compared to places like Hel and Mierzeja Wislana, as you mentioned..

Well since I moved to Prague, Hel and Mierzeja is uncomfortably far, Swinoujsce is the closest Baltic coast so you may have me there more often :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back