• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Forge 8x42 and 10x42: Chassis material? S-P or A-K prisms? (1 Viewer)

mauriciolacruz

Spain
What material the chassis of Bushnell Forge binoculars is made of?: Metal (magnesium, aluminum...)? Plastic (polycarbonate...)? Fiber?...

And the prisms on these versions (8x42 and 10x42) are Schmidt-Pechan or Abbe-Koenig?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you all! 👍🏻

Is the Forge 8x42 a good deal for €426?

How do their optics compare to, say, a Kowa Genesis 44 Prominar XD 8.5x44?

Where are their optics made?: China? Japan?... (I know their production being outsourced to China, but what about the optics?)

Last edited:
Last unit in stock bought at €426, I didn't want to risk and miss it.

I've just contacted Bushnell to get clarification on my doubts about the Forge line.

Here below my queries...

"Dear sirs,

I've just purchased the Bushnell Forge 8x42 binoculars but, even after doing a deep research before buying them, I couldn't find answer to the following questions:

1. What material the chassis of Bushnell Forge binoculars is made of?: Metal (magnesium, aluminum, alloy...)? Plastic (polycarbonate...)? Fiber?...

2. What is the type of prisms used on versions 8x42 and 10x42? Are they Schmidt-Pechan as I presume or Abbe-Koenig? I know of the ones used on version 15x56 being Abbe-Koenig, but not sure about the ones used on the other two versions.

3. I know about the production of this series (Forge) being outsourced to China, but what about their optics/lenses? Are they also made in China or only assembled there?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards."

Last unit in stock bought at €426, I didn't want to risk and miss it.

I've just contacted Bushnell to get clarification on my doubts about the Forge line.

Here below my queries...

"Dear sirs,

I've just purchased the Bushnell Forge 8x42 binoculars but, even after doing a deep research before buying them, I couldn't find answer to the following questions:

1. What material the chassis of Bushnell Forge binoculars is made of?: Metal (magnesium, aluminum, alloy...)? Plastic (polycarbonate...)? Fiber?...

2. What is the type of prisms used on versions 8x42 and 10x42? Are they Schmidt-Pechan as I presume or Abbe-Koenig? I know of the ones used on version 15x56 being Abbe-Koenig, but not sure about the ones used on the other two versions.

3. I know about the production of this series (Forge) being outsourced to China, but what about their optics/lenses? Are they also made in China or only assembled there?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards."
Did you ever hear back from Bushnell? I have the Forge 10x42, and I agree that the optics are impressive. A Bushnell rep told me a few years ago they have a magnesium body and Schmidt-Pecan prisms. But I haven't found that information on their website or print documentation.

Did you ever hear back from Bushnell? I have the Forge 10x42, and I agree that the optics are impressive. A Bushnell rep told me a few years ago they have a magnesium body and Schmidt-Pecan prisms. But I haven't found that information on their website or print documentation.
Not yet. I'm afraid they won't respond.

You will find Bushnell very hard to get a hold of unless you want sales. Their customer service is horrible.

I've emailed Bushnell twice about bino spec typos and they have gotten back to me in 3/7 days. Don't know anything about the servicing aspects. Regards, Pat

You will find Bushnell very hard to get a hold of unless you want sales. Their customer service is horrible.
I sent in my legend M (the predecessor to the forge) because the focus wheel was very stiff and they were very responsive and replaced the focus mechanism free of charge.
Magnesium chassis and as Pat has stated, SP prisms. I have the 8X42, nice glass.
Did you have a Legend M? Ever have the chance to do a comparison? I've long been suspicious the forge was just a re-armored pricier legend M.

Did you have a Legend M? Ever have the chance to do a comparison? I've long been suspicious the forge was just a re-armored pricier legend M.
I also suspect that this is more or less the case.

Nevertheless, considering that the Forge is the current model which has replaced the Legend M (no longer in production) and it possibly features some improvements, to me it's the way to go, even having no improvements at all (other than a different armoring) and being pricier.

But even only given the possibility that they may present some improvements (e.g. more modern coatings, in fact the color is different on both: greenish on the Legend M vs pinkish amber / burgundy on the Forge), it is already worth going straight for the Forge without looking back.

Last edited:
I sent in my legend M (the predecessor to the forge) because the focus wheel was very stiff and they were very responsive and replaced the focus mechanism free of charge.

Yes I have both in 8X42, and the armor on the Forge is thicker, so more bulky, the Legend M has a metal diopter ring, the Forge is plastic. The Forge has a better/improved focus, (focus action was the lacking feature on the Legend M). Optics wise both are very similar to my eyes. I purchased my Legend Ms for $130 a pair, likely the best value regarding a bino purchase for me. The objective covers on the Forge have a lot to be desired, but that is a small issue IMO.

On the topic of covers the rain guard/ocular covers in the Legend M were one of my small gripes as they were too deep that they run into the diopter and can't get all the way on on the right side. Incidentally the rain guard that came with the sv202 ed 8x32 fits them perfectly and lies flat.

I don't know about the chassis material but the only forge that has AK prisms is the 15x56. Pat
Wasn't there an 8x56 version with AK prisms once?
Edit: a short internet search only brought up the 15x56.
BTW - I think that is the same bino as the DDoptics Pirschler 15x56 probably from the same OEM maker. I'm guessing Made in China. There are a lot of similarities to the Kite 8x56 and GPO 8x56. I think those are all from the same manufacturer. And the GPO is made in China as well as the Kite Cervus HD. I had the suspicion (but not much real info) that it might actually be the Chinese Kenko plant who makes these. As other DDoptics models, like the Lux HR were also sold as Sightron and those were made by Kenko.
But I have zero evidence to back that up because all of those companies, Kite, DDoptics and Bushnell sell binos made by various OEM makers.

Last edited:
BTW - I think that is the same bino as the DDoptics Pirschler 15x56 probably from the same OEM maker. I'm guessing Made in China. There are a lot of similarities to the Kite 8x56 and GPO 8x56. I think those are all from the same manufacturer. And the GPO is made in China as well as the Kite Cervus HD. I had the suspicion (but not much real info) that it might actually be the Chinese Kenko plant who makes these. As other DDoptics models, like the Lux HR were also sold as Sightron and those were made by Kenko.
But I have zero evidence to back that up because all of those companies, Kite, DDoptics and Bushnell sell binos made by various OEM makers.
It seems that the DDoptics Pirschler 15x56 are the "same" binoculars than the Bushnell Forge 15x56, yes, but while the DDoptics weighs 1200 g, the Bushnell weighs 1446 g (246 g heavier), and I wonder if that's because the housing chassis on the Bushnell is metal and on the DDoptics is polycarbonate?

It seems that the DDoptics Pirschler 15x56 are the "same" binoculars than the Bushnell Forge 15x56, yes, but while the DDoptics weighs 1200 g, the Bushnell weighs 1446 g (246 g heavier), and I wonder if that's because the housing chassis on the Bushnell is metal and on the DDoptics is polycarbonate?
No. The Pirschler has a magnesium body. So I have no idea, why the weight is different, if it is in fact the same bino by the same OEM maker.

No. The Pirschler has a magnesium body. So I have no idea, why the weight is different, if it is in fact the same bino by the same OEM maker.
I've read somewhere that the DDoptics Pirschler 15x56 does actually have polycarbonate housing... ¿?

*EDIT: Yes, you're right, on DDoptics website it states that the housing is magnesium.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back