• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies ID please, Romania (May-June 2021) (1 Viewer)

mi-d

Hello,
please help me ID these Butterflies
Thank you!

Attachments

• _DSC0150.jpg
    _DSC0150.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
  • _DSC0165.jpg
    _DSC0165.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 10
  • _DSC0272.jpg
    _DSC0272.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC0386.jpg
    _DSC0386.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC9752.jpg
    _DSC9752.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 15
  • _DSC9877.jpg
    _DSC9877.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSC9906.jpg
    _DSC9906.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 5
  • _DSC9924.jpg
    _DSC9924.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSC9956.jpg
    _DSC9956.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8
#1 is a Small White Pieris rapae
#2 is a Marbled White Melanargia galathea
#5 looks like a Heath Fritillary Melitaea athalia
#6 looks like a Queen of Spain Fritillary Issoria lathania

Shane

Last edited:
#3 looks like one of those occasional Common Blues (Polyommatus icarus) with washed-out linules
#4 I'm struggling to make anything other than a Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) but it seems to be missing the usual dark spots on the uns hindwing
#7, #8, #9 If they are the same individual then they are Short-Tailed Blues (Cupido argiades)

Shane

I agree with all Shane's IDs except no. 4 which I believe is a Small Heath Coenonympha pamphilus.

Chris
I can see these 2 can be difficult to tell apart of based only on single photos or if very old or bleached specimens are involved. I ended up deciding it was meadow brown, mostly on overall shape. It's certainly missing the hind wing spots and clear colour demarcation we might expect from small heath

#3 looks like one of those occasional Common Blues (Polyommatus icarus) with washed-out linules
#4 I'm struggling to make anything other than a Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) but it seems to be missing the usual dark spots on the uns hindwing
#7, #8, #9 If they are the same individual then they are Short-Tailed Blues (Cupido argiades)

Shane
#1 is a Small White Pieris rapae
#2 is a Marbled White Melanargia galathea
#3 can't be Polymmatus as it lacks uhw mid-discal spot - probably Plebejus but I doubt you'll get a reliable id from singe shot of specimen in such poor condition.
#4 Coenonympha pamphilus
#5 probably Heath Fritillary Melitaea athalia but without underside shot cant rule out other Melitaea
#6 Queen of Spain Fritillary Issoria lathania
#7,8,9 Short-tailed Blues Cupido argiades

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back