• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caño negro in august (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

Does it worth having stayed before in Corcovado, Sarapiqui, Arenal, Quetzales...?

I'm interested in jesuschrist lizard ans boat-billed heron, but if I there are real possibilities of watching them before (Corcovado...) I will change this destination (August is not the best season as I read)..

Many thanks,

Does it worth having stayed before in Corcovado, Sarapiqui, Arenal, Quetzales...?

I'm interested in jesuschrist lizard ans boat-billed heron, but if I there are real possibilities of watching them before (Corcovado...) I will change this destination (August is not the best season as I read)..

Many thanks,

Presumably there will be a lot more water, making birds harder to locate?

Great White Pelican will be gone I think but Nicaraguan Grackle will be there.

Roosting Pacific Screech Owls in the garden at 'Natural Lodge'

Boat drivers know where Bb Heron can be found and Sungrebe too with a possibility of Jabiru, all of which we saw.

We didn't see JC Lizard anywhere but did see Brown Basilisk doing the same trick on land at Gavilan Lodge.
I think several species of Basilisk are capable of this but we saw them all on land rather than water.

A

Attachments

• Brown Basilisk M.jpg
    Brown Basilisk M.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Emerald Basilisk Basiliscus plumifrons.jpg
    Emerald Basilisk Basiliscus plumifrons.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_4384.jpg
    DSC_4384.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Many thanks! Natural lodge is too expensive for me...

I do not know if going to Caño Negro, Santa Rosa or maybe to the biological reserve in Palo Verde. Any opinion will be appreciated!!

Many thanks! Natural lodge is too expensive for me...

I do not know if going to Caño Negro, Santa Rosa or maybe to the biological reserve in Palo Verde. Any opinion will be appreciated!!

You can walk in to Natural Lodge and the girl at reception will show you the Owls if they are there, we tipped her $10

The 2 hour boat trip cost us £60, Costa Rica is not a cheap country at all, petrol is expensive too.

A

The three species of Basilisks and heron can be found at many sites other than Cano Negro although Cano Negro is still good for those and many other species. As Andy indicated, birds won't be as concentrated but you can still see a lot. Kingfisher Lodge is a good value option for lodging there.

Green Basilisc is super common in the gardens of Selva Verde Lodge in Sarapiqui.
Santa Rosa National Park is too far from any lodge. You better stay in Ensenada Lodge and visit Solimar wetlands
Caño Negro is a river and wetland with cattle ranches all around. Do not expect forest trails. People go to Caño Negro to visit the river mostly. Is a long ride in a bad road

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back