• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California birds (2 Viewers)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Can you please help with these 2. Spotted in Santa Barbara yesterday. Sorry for the bad quality of pics.

Many thanks!

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_153813.jpg
    IMG_20230517_153813.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230517_153600.jpg
    IMG_20230517_153600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
the first one is a California Scrub Jay. The other one is a very challenging image due to the angle and lighting. I am not at all confident but it sort of looks like a Blue Grosbeak.

Many thanks for the replies. I saw many California Scrub Jays there but from this angle he looked like something else.

Here's a second (bad) pic of the other bird. I saw him briefly on the ground..

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_165948.jpg
    IMG_20230517_165948.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Did you get a look at the eyes? Was it bright red? If so, I am thinking Asian glossy starling.

Thanks again! Unfortunately I didn't see his eyes. I saw him very briefly. I arrived in Fiji this morning. Could it be a Fiji bird? But I double-checked my camera and the photo is dated with yesterday's date, while I was still in California. And I remember seeing him there. Strange. It could be Asian glossy starling as you are suggesting.

The first bird is indeed a California Scrub-Jay. I think the second bird probably was in Fiji and that it is a Red-vented Bulbul. I spent a few hours once at an airport in Fiji and I think that was the only bird I saw.

The first bird is indeed a California Scrub-Jay. I think the second bird probably was in Fiji and that it is a Red-vented Bulbul. I spent a few hours once at an airport in Fiji and I think that was the only bird I saw.

It must be yes. Thanks again for the feedback.

Remember that when flying from California to Fiji, you cross the international date line -- but your camera probably doesn't know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back