• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California, Sierra Nevada: Hairy or Downy Woodpecker? (1 Viewer)

LucaPCP

Happy User
Is this a hairy or downy woodpecker?
Seen in the Sierra Nevada, about 6000ft.
Your help is much appreciated. I am also surprised at how narrow is the top white band; in the Sibley, it is depicted as being much wider. Here, in places, it is almost a thin line.

2020-12-01_17-03-20_PC010169.jpg2020-12-01_17-03-21_PC010170.jpg

Many thanks! It’s interesting, I don’t think then that I have seen a downy woodpecker yet. Are they rarer? Or do they have a different distribution? Both around Truckee, and the Bay Area, it has been always hairy and not downy for me.

Many thanks! It’s interesting, I don’t think then that I have seen a downy woodpecker yet. Are they rarer? Or do they have a different distribution? Both around Truckee, and the Bay Area, it has been always hairy and not downy for me.

In my experience, in the Bay Area and in the Sierra Nevada Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers are both common. Downy tends to be more in lower, especially riparian, habitats. Hairy is more catholic in its habitat selection, and both species occur in many areas. Learning the calls will help you locate Downies.

Hairy indeed. It is like our Great Spotted WP and Lesser Spotted WP. And we have a Middle Spotted WP too. Hairy is a Thrush size bird and Downy just 6 inches.

Many thanks you all!
On a side note, I am impressed by my luck with that photo. The tree was quite tall; I was not very close (100 ft or likely more?), and I took it with my Olympus E-M1II with a 300mm lens (equivalent to 600mm) bracing myself for stability against another three, in the vaning light of the day, then cropping like crazy the very central part of the frame. I am impressed that the photo came out so good given the circumstances.

In my experience, in the Bay Area and in the Sierra Nevada Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers are both common. Downy tends to be more in lower, especially riparian, habitats. Hairy is more catholic in its habitat selection, and both species occur in many areas. Learning the calls will help you locate Downies.
I see. Lower in elevation you mean? Here I am mostly at or above 6000ft. But I think I need to be better at spotting the downy ones. I will study their calls.

In the Bay Area, it's about 50/50 Downy to Hairy in Oak Forests and such. Once you move into the residential areas You'll get more Downy. I live more in the forests of the Bay Area, and we get lot's of Hairy and Downy, as well as Nuttall's, Pileated, Acorn, and Flicker. Downy are definitely much harder in the high Sierra.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back