• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for EF 100-400, up to ~ £1000 (1 Viewer)

Henry_Flower

Germany
Hi,

I'd be really grateful for any thoughts on this -- I've read some of the other threads in the forum, and they've been very helpful!

I'm upgrading from a Canon 450D. I'm pretty much wedded to Canon, as I have an EF 100-400mm lens I want to continue using. My budget is about £1000; I'd rather buy in the EU, but the UK is also possible. Body only would be fine, as long as I can use my existing lens.

My main interest is wildlife, unsurprisingly.

My priorities are:

-- faster autofocus
-- better low-light capability
-- higher resolution

These seem to be the main contenders; am I right so far, and are there any others I should be thinking about?

7D MkII -- looks to be my best best, but is it too old?

M6 MkII -- in theory should be good, but I've read some comments here that it's not great for bird photography.

RP -- I like the idea of full frame = better picture quality (if that's not an oversimplification), but am I right in thinking that a crop sensor is likely to work out better for wildlife?

back in march i upgraded from a 20d to the 7dmkii after a lot of research it always came out top as the camera in canons line up for wildlife.
mine was bought from harrisons cameras in sheffield used for £650 not sure the € with a shutter count of 7000.

the main reason i rate this camera is 14 fps in raw, auto iso, and the ability to use canon extenders and retain autofocus and the 1.6x frame, i may be wrong but full frame is not useful for wildlife due to distance of subject eg your 100-400mm lens = 160mm-640mm plus the photos are on average 27mbs so lots of room for cropping

all my photos on here are cropped with very little adjustment great camera

People have died waiting for an upgraded 7D MkIII ..... !

If autofocus is a key priority, then the 7DII is your only viable APS-C choice at the moment. You could also consider the higher MP, 90D which betters the 7DII on ISO performance, though the venerable 7DII will track better.

If you were to go full frame, then the R5 will give you the AF you want, though it's many times out of your budget range. In APS-C mode it has pretty much the same resolution as the 7DII ..... perhaps this is Canon's answer for a 7D III ???

Chosun 👧

People have died waiting for an upgraded 7D MkIII ..... !

If autofocus is a key priority, then the 7DII is your only viable APS-C choice at the moment. You could also consider the higher MP, 90D which betters the 7DII on ISO performance, though the venerable 7DII will track better.

If you were to go full frame, then the R5 will give you the AF you want, though it's many times out of your budget range. In APS-C mode it has pretty much the same resolution as the 7DII ..... perhaps this is Canon's answer for a 7D III ???

Chosun 👧
Absolutely no chance of affording the R5! The 90D would be an interesting option, but it's quite a bit more than a used 7DII, and it seems what I'd win on ISO and MP, I'd lose on AF. :)

The 7D Mark II is what I use for serious wildlife photography and it has never failed to perform! The upcoming mirrorless crop factor from Canon will probably out perform the old 7D but I am sure it will be more expensive than I am willing to spend (and probably out of your price range also). 7000 shutter count is essentially new on the 7D. I have over 70,000 on mine and never a problem. The 90D is a great option also if you want to go with the higher pixel count and better ISO performance.

For the money a low actuation 7D2 in good condition is the way to go but if I remember correctly it might not be fully functional with some lens and TC combinations and you will have few active AF points too. 100-400 plus a 1.4 allows only centre point and expanded centre point and will be slow. With a 2xTC it's f11 and won't AF at all so don't even go there unless you are happy with manual focus.

im still getting used to the 1.4 mkiii tc for the money and this used one though mint its not a bad tc just not something i would use all the time, it does retain single focus af but slow and near usless in a busy enviroment ie trees,reeds etc but in nice sunny weather its good

can be good for butterflies etc all photos have exif info to show the 1.4 tc

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 17.36.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 17.36.06.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 17.36.41.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 17.36.41.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 17.37.58.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 17.37.58.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back