• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can You Identify This Beautiful Bird? Sound Clip Inside (1 Viewer)

E-Man

Canada
Hello,

I am located in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Ontario, Canada. Last year I moved into a house in the with a beautiful large backyard full of nature and a few trees and many different bird calls are heard throughout the day, but one particular beautifully sounding bird call stands out and I am hoping someone here can help me identify it.

Moreover, what particular build of bird feeder/house and feed would I need to buy in order attract this bird but not the annoying loud Blue Jay which I cannot stand?

Attached is an amplified audio clip for your reference.

Thanks for reading/listening.

Attachments

• Beautiful Bird in Backyard.mp3
    313.6 KB
It sounds like a Northern Cardinal. Is that you at the beginning of the audio, or is that a bird?
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for replying. No, that whistle in the beginning is not me at all! I think (but not sure) that it is the same bird and it is the unusual beautiful whistle in the beginning of the sound clip that I actually like and trying to attract here. I will try to take another sound clip sometime when it is quiet.

Hi Kevin and welcome to BirdForum.

The sound at the beginning really does sound like a human whistle to me. The later sounds are definitely from a Northern Cardinal.

The sound at the beginning really does sound like a human whistle to me. The later sounds are definitely from a Northern Cardinal.
Hi Microtus, thanks.

The beginning indeed does sound like a peculiar human-like whistle which is why it is so mysterious as to which bird this is for sure but it looks like it is probably the Cardinal. The thing is, after Googling the sounds of a Northern Cardinal I could never find one that makes that whistle!

It sounds like a Northern Cardinal. Is that you at the beginning of the audio, or is that a bird?

So assuming this is indeed a "Northern Cardinal", what particular build of bird feeder/house and feed would I need to buy in order attract this bird but not the annoying loud Blue Jay which I cannot stand?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, there aren't many seed feeders that bluejays don't like. Houses are a bit easier, you'd want something sized for a cardinal, but birdseed is birdseed. Maybe try some of the smaller seeds, like nijer, in a feeder that closes down if large birds land on it? There are squirrel-proof feeders that have a setup where, if too much weight lands on the perch at once, a sleeve closes down over all the holes. If you can get one that allows you to adjust the weight, you might be able to tune it so that multiple jays would close it off.

And, something in the favor of the jays: they can help keep your other birds safe. If they see a hawk or other predator, they kick up a huge fuss, and may even try to chase it off.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back