• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada, Alberta. Fall warbler (1 Viewer)

KhostAdenplusmore

Hello,
I photographed this warbler today. Other warblers seen in close proximity included Yellow-Rumped (Myrtle), Blackpoll, Yellow, Tennessee, Orange-Crowned, and American Redstart. But this one does not quite look right for any of those. Other thoughts I had would be Palm Warbler. There is a good view of the tail, and it seems good for Palm,or Myrtle, but the bold dark streaking on the yellow chest don't seem to support either of those too well. So I am unsure what is the best call for this bird. Help.

Attachments

• uncertain warbler-4620.jpg
    uncertain warbler-4620.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 56
I'm thinking Cape May

Yes, that seems best. It fits the face well, and the streaked breast. The dark line which seems to present at the base of the tail feathers doesn't seem to be expected, but it is possible that that darkness is something that has been created in the photograph of the the flying bird.
Thanks.

Yes, that seems best. It fits the face well, and the streaked breast. The dark line which seems to present at the base of the tail feathers doesn't seem to be expected, but it is possible that that darkness is something that has been created in the photograph of the the flying bird.
Thanks.

Molting undertail coverts could account for the large amount of dark at the base of the tail. The bird looks like a Cape May to me, down to the yellow underside of the feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back