• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300mm II & Sigma 120-300mm OS (1 Viewer)

Well the Canon is sharper...............

If I ever need to take pics of a tenner at f16 I'll bear that in mind...........

I thought you'd already sold your Sigma 120-300 OS?

It is a fiver and not a tenner ;)

I did sell it, this belongs to a good friend

Sigma 120-300mm at 1680mm with Kenko 2x, Canon 2x III and Canon 1.4x III (12mm extension tube between the 2 canon TC's).

On a tripod with remote shutter release.
Approx 50% crop

1680mm%20f16%20sigma%20120-300mm.jpg

Hmm, 300 II is definitely sharper than 120-300 OS. Now I wonder how about 120-300 OS vs. old EF 300 2.8L non-is, I think they are about the same.

Hmm, 300 II is definitely sharper than 120-300 OS.

I should hope so too, here in Japan the 300L II is priced at around ¥650,000 and the Sigma 120-300 OS is under ¥300,000.

I was rather hoping Sigma would announce a new 300 f2.8 or 500 f4.5 (or f4) prime lens today but instead they announced a new macro lens and 2 lenses for mirrorless systems.

At the moment this 120-300 OS is the only thing I can afford to upgrade from my 100-400L and TBH I'm still not convinced by it.

Hi Keith, I've been following another long thread on POTN for a while now and whilst there are some good shots there I can't get rid of the nagging doubt that in real world shooting it may only be very slightly better than my 100-400.

The 120-300 OS appears to be quite easy to get in Japan, the Canon 300 MK2 seems to have a 2 month delay in shipping at the moment. The older Canon 300 Mk1 lenses are appearing on s/h sites but even they are more expensive than the brand new Sigma.

Damn, why didn't they announce a 500 prime with OS?

Well for me, if the IQ is better than my 100-400mm (even if only by a little bit), and I get better AF, a faster lens, f/2.8 bokeh when I want it, and the option of 600mm at f/5.6, that's good enough for me - especially as the lens will be paid for by a lottery win I've just had, so I'm effectively getting it for nowt!

;)

Well for me, if the IQ is better than my 100-400mm (even if only by a little bit), and I get better AF, a faster lens, f/2.8 bokeh when I want it, and the option of 600mm at f/5.6, that's good enough for me - especially as the lens will be paid for by a lottery win I've just had, so I'm effectively getting it for nowt!

;)

Hope you get it, I'd be interested in your opinions on it............

I'm definitely having one, so I'll report back as and when.

Michael, is the in-stock item you know about UK sourced? I want a UK lens so that I can get the three year Sigma guarantee.

Well, those nice folk at Harrison Cameras in Sheffield have been able to fix me up - I should have the lens in my hands by 1pm tomorrow.

Congratulations Keith. Sadly I will never win the lottery...I don't do it.

I wish you luck with the new lens. I am sure many will be watching this space.

What 2X converter do you propose using?

I don't actually own a 2x, Adrian - but I have a few 1.4xs and a 1.5x, so I'll start by stacking (say) the Kenko 1.4x and 1.5x converters and see how that works out.

I'm about to head out for a couple of hours to see how the Siggy deals with the gulls and Eiders on the river at the bottom of my street, but very brief first impressions of it, following the usual "leaning out of the front door and shooting cars parked across the road" tests are that at 450mm handheld (lens + Kenko 1.5x) it's obviously sharper than my 100-400mm - even just viewing the Raw files in Irfanview the additional sharpness is clear.

That's at f/2.8 (at the lens) too.

Contrast and colours look good as well - there's a "pop" to the IQ I don't remember seeing from the Canon: presumably that's partly down to the increased subject-background separation from the wider aperture, but I like it.

Big heavy bugger though!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back