• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 5D- 100-400 is Lens or Sigma 50-500 Lens? (1 Viewer)

Hi toad1,

The 300mm f4 is a sharp lens and one that I considered as well when I moved into DSLR photography last Novemeber. The lens on its own is superb though at 300mm I had reservations about it's reach for birding. Adding the 1.4x converter gave more reach but obviously not as much as a 400mm with converter and I wasn't certain of the sharpness with converter added from some of the results I'd seen.

In the end I opted for the 100-400mm IS which is a very good lens. I have since added the Canon 400mm f5,6 purchased secondhand which gives sharper results but of course no IS. If it's propped against a hide or on a bean bag then I have no problems with it even with the 1.4x converter added - it gives jsut as sharp results. Hand held I have more keepers with the 100-400 IS which I find is more versatile to use because of it's zoom range and closer minimum focus.

Hi,

i'll just quote what I've just posted on another thread.

"I started Digiscoping then moved on DSLR last year. Body wise I went the Nikon route, getting a D70 and lens wise I opted for the Sigma 50-500. After about 3 weeks my new set up I was very happy with the camera but the lens just wasn't up to it. I honestly think I was getting better results digiscoping!
It was soft in the centre and even more so around the edges....

.....I then found a very cheap Sigma 500mm F4.5 on ebay and quickly brought it. I've not looked back! .....

...I’ve attached two photos. One a 100% crop from the 500mm prime and the other 100% from the 50-500mm zoom. I think they speak for them self!"

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Marc Read

Attachments

• 500mmprime.jpg
    500mmprime.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,479
  • 500zoom.jpg
    500zoom.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,410
Youngbirder18 said:
Hi,

i'll just quote what I've just posted on another thread.

"I started Digiscoping then moved on DSLR last year. Body wise I went the Nikon route, getting a D70 and lens wise I opted for the Sigma 50-500. After about 3 weeks my new set up I was very happy with the camera but the lens just wasn't up to it. I honestly think I was getting better results digiscoping!
It was soft in the centre and even more so around the edges....

.....I then found a very cheap Sigma 500mm F4.5 on ebay and quickly brought it. I've not looked back! .....

...I’ve attached two photos. One a 100% crop from the 500mm prime and the other 100% from the 50-500mm zoom. I think they speak for them self!"

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Marc Read

To say that you were getting better results digiscoping must mean that there was something wrong with your zoom.

A prime lens will obviously outperform a zoom but unless other people can pick up very cheap 500mm primes there is a hell of a price difference.

paul goode said:
A prime lens will obviously outperform a zoom but unless other people can pick up very cheap 500mm primes there is a hell of a price difference.

True, but when people talk about the 50-500 being "sharp" it doesn't do any harm to put it into perspective against genuinely sharp lenses.

Possibly there was a problem, although I don't think there was. I think, looking at other galleries, if I had the choice of the 100-400 or the 50-500, the 100-400 route would be the “sharper” option.

Cheers

Marc

Kite said:
True, but when people talk about the 50-500 being "sharp" it doesn't do any harm to put it into perspective against genuinely sharp lenses.

There is zoom sharp and prime sharp. I haven't seen a zoom yet that will beat out a high quality prime, wide open and at either of it's focal length extremes. I have also never seen a zoom lens that doesn't get sharper when stopped down. The Canon 70-200 F2.8 is one sharp puppy wide open. But at F2.8 and 200mm it doesn't stack up that well against the 200mm F2.8 prime. Same with the 100-400 LIS. A really sharp zoom that cannot achieve the out of camera sharpness of the 400mm 5.6L. If you stop the Bigma or the 100-400mm Canon down to F8 or so, they are as sharp as the wide open primes.

The Bigma is very sharp when compared to most consumer grade zooms. It does soften from 400mms on out to it's 465mm limit (not to mention it's max aperture is really F6.3 versus F5.6) It's sweet spot is between 100-400mms and stopped down one stop (same as the Canon). In that range it is very close in sharpness to the 100-400mm Canon.

I am posting some real world examples of Bigma shots at 500mms and stopped down to F9 or F10.

Here is an original size crop.

Another big one.

Not too shabby, IMHO. But again, these weren't shot wide open. To get the best sharpness, wide open, you usually need to be in the above mentioned 100-400mm sweetspot range. Like this one at F5.6 and around 200mms.

Steve

Just reading through this thread - and many others similar - I'm also in the throes of taking the Sigma plunge and am now thinking (but this could change at any time!) along the lines of the 80-400 with OS (image stabiliser). I think I'm convinced about the usefullness of OS for hand-held shots. I can get one without DG £129 cheaper. Is DG worth the extra?

Aquila said:
I think I'm convinced about the usefullness of OS for hand-held shots. I can get one without DG £129 cheaper. Is DG worth the extra?

I have a number of non-DG lenses and have never had any problems with reflections... personally I'd get the non-DG version and save some money.

Aquila said:
Thanks. Much appreciated.

I love my 100-400, best money I ever spent. The IS feature far outways the extra 100mm focal length of the Bigma IMHO. Go for the Canon, you wont regret it. Here's a shot I got with mine recently.

Attachments

• _MG_1918.jpg
    _MG_1918.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 897
MoJoUK said:
I love my 100-400, best money I ever spent. The IS feature far outways the extra 100mm focal length of the Bigma IMHO. Go for the Canon, you wont regret it. Here's a shot I got with mine recently.
Thanks. The Canon is a little too pricey too me, so I've gone with the Sigma 80-400 with image stabiliser (two-thirds of the price).

paul goode said:
Hi
Dicker,

I can't help you much on the canon lens as I've never used one but do own the Sigma, so....

With a 2x convertor it does not autofocus and don't think it will with a 1.4x. In my experience it is useless with the converter. It may be my manual focussing but I have not come close to a sharp image with it.

Without the converter I find it a nice lens which takes good sharp images used on my 20d. Whether the full frame sensor would expose any weaknesses I don't know. At the end of the day its a relatively cheap lens and I'm sure Canon envisaged fitting L glass to the 5D.

Couldn't help with the Buzzard but have attached a Red Kite from the weekend to give you an idea of the lenses capabilities.

Regards

Paul

Brilliant photo, Paul.

As someone who owns both, let me say this: of the 200 photos in my flickr Animals set, 10 were taken with the Bigma (50-500) and over 100 with the 100-400. The picture quality is much better - the 100-400 is decently sharp wide open, something I could never say about the Bigma.

I had the 50-500 and found it heavy and awkward to use. I now have the 100-400 and find it to be a far better lens despite being 100mm shorter. I don't believe the 50-500 had a focus-limiter on it, which speeds up AF considerably.

I would not use a teleconverter on either lens, unless it is to get a shot for ID purposes only.

Tony

DICKER said:
Thank you for all your views on my question which long lens with Canon 5D. I have decided to sell my Canon 70-200 f2.8 Lens and Canon 2x converter and buy either a Canon 100-400 IS or Sigma 50-500 Lens with a Canon 1.4x or Tamron 1.4x converter. I am swaying more towards the 100-400 because it is lighter and has IS but the sigma would give me the extra 100mm length which one should I go for to get that buzzard hovering in the sky?? Also, does anyone know whether either of the teleconverters would work on auto focus with either of these lenses please?Look forward to hearing from you :h?:
I have a 5D and the 100-400. It is an excellent lens for wildlife and birds. The IS will allow you to get shots that would be difficult without that feature, but of course it does not stop movement of the subject. I also have the 1.4x Canon converter, but have never used it to date! Fairly recent purchase. With the 5D having 12.8MP, cropping in any reasonably close photo still produces a very good picture. Remember the days when 3-5MP was considered great? Those cameras produced some very good photos that could be blown out to a reasonable size as well.
For birding it seems that there can never be enough focal length, and there have been many discussions about this on www.photography-on-the.net.

I have allways been under the impression that on most of the digital cameras once you go past the 5.6 arena then the autofocus does not work no matter what lens you are using. So if you have for example a canon 20D with 300mm f4 lens the autofocus works with a 1.4 converter but not the 2.0.

Lens sharpness

I find this to be the most difficult choice I have been faced with regarding camera/lense gear. I have a 40 D along with a fair variety of lenses. The long focal length has become more important to me in the past year as I have had many opportunities to shoot wildlife and birds. My primary reason for purchasing the 50-500 (Bigma) was for wildlife in Yellowstone Park. It has served me well in some respects. The detail or sharpness has proved to be less than satisfactory unless I have a real bright day. That is not the worst of it though. The weight is not a problem at all. The tripod mount serves as a great handle that works very effectively. The lens build is excellent. The lack of IS is somewhat of an issue. I mean it would be a nice addition I would use no doubt. OK, the big problem is trying to use it to track BIF (birds in flight). I want and need to be able to set my camera to AI Servo , multi burst and set my focus points. Then I want to shoot birds such as ducks, geese, eagles, osprey etc. In this area I cus the Bigma often. I know, this is not a fault of the Bigma. It does what it was designed to do very well at a much more affordable price than other 500mm lenses. It does get you close to your subject.
I used to have a Canon 100-400 IS. I sold it to get enough cash to buy a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens. At the time I needed the 70-200 2.8 to shoot sports at night. I am very happy with that lens yet but it is not a birding lens for most instances. I recall my 100-400 IS as producing some nice sharp images along with good to excellent color contrast and some fabulous bokeh. How did I ever sell that lens? Well, at the time I was not into birding or wildlife. I do not remember if the 100-400 I S was a fast focusing lens, I mean fast enough for locking focus and tracking the above mentioned birds. The weight was never a problem . I was not that fond of the push pull zoom because I feared it would make the lens prone to dust.
I have read hundreds of reviews on lenses like the Canon 300 f4 IS , the Canon 400 5.6 L and other great lenses. NOTE: I can not seriously consider a Canon 500, 600 or 800 because they are out of my league. It would seem that most people who have used the Canon 400mm 5.6 L agree that it is undoubtably the sharpest of the lot, although it like the 300 f4 are not zooms. I would love to have the sharpness of the 400mm 5.6 L and the versatility of the 100-400 5.6 IS zoom all in one. That however looks to be impossible unless a person could somehow land the absolute sharpest of 100-400's.
I have been marketing many of the pictures I have taken in the park on the internet. My success has been limited by the quality of images I can offer. Some photo buyers want a very high level of quality. I will need to upgrade the glass I use if I am going to succeed at selling these pictures.
I am satisfied with the 40 D as I have become more than efficient with the cameras controls. It is capable of performing real well. But in the world of photography I find that the glass has the ability to hinder the camera from doing what it can do.
Based on what I have read here in this thread and the internet overall, I think for me it comes down to two choices. I can either get the best of the lot in sharpness in the 400 5.6 or I can settle for a tad less in the sharpness department and gain versatility due to focal length as well as IS and get the 100-400 5.6 IS.
I therefore will be selling the Bigma to raise some of the cash to do that. As I see it, I will lose the extra 100mm but I will be improving in all other departments. Thanks for all of your input on this choice and hopefully someone else might get a bit of insight from my observations.

All the main reviews i've read about the Bigma say that it isn't sharp - especially near the 500 end. That's why I went with the Tamron 200-500 - which also had the advantage of being lighter. I no longer have this lens - moved up to Sigma 500mm prime, but I wish i hadn't sold the Tamron cos it was a great walkabout lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back