• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capercaillie in Finland (1 Viewer)

Tomeitsparadise

South Africa
Hi, we are very keen to see Capercaillie on our visit to Finland. We will be travelling from Narvik, to Luleä, Rovaniemi and then Kuusamo in March, early April, sadly before the lekking season. Does anyone have contact details of someone that may be able to give us info that will help us locate them. I have heard just bumping into them early morning on the road does happen, but how often I wonder?

You may want to contact Finnature:
My experience is that female Capercaillie can be relatively frequent on roads early in the morning (and sometimes later). It can be a bit of a lottery but you can get good views if you're careful. I've never seen a male like this though.

Last edited:
Not only roads but rails too can work for this purpose. I saw several on a full day train from Mora to Gällivare in Sweden around midsummer once.

Overall I've found it more difficult to see them winter time. Keeping eyes on source treetops for eaten braches will be helpful as they often come back to same trees.

Not only roads but rails too can work for this purpose. I saw several on a full day train from Mora to Gällivare in Sweden around midsummer once.

Overall I've found it more difficult to see them winter time. Keeping eyes on source treetops for eaten braches will be helpful as they often come back to same trees.
Thanks. Going to read about their favourite trees now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back