• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car hire companies Budapest (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

Anyone had a good experience of hiring a car at Budapest airport? I'm reading lots of horror stories. I don't pay the ridiculous cost of no-excess insurance and pay for it through an independent company. I've read of hire car companies going for a really hard sell and even refusing to honour the prepaid booking with people doing that. Also people being told that this is always damage found and they will be charged. With an excess of Eur 2500 this is would be a source of stress even when insured by a third party.

Recommendations appreciated.

Hi Steve, we just used Hertz last autumn - better deal on the comparison sites than directly. Think they wanted 500 Euro deposit on credit card - refunded at the end of the trip with no problem. Cost was just over £600 for 8 days. Hope this helps!

I've not hired a car in Hungary but when I do book abroad I do so through Rentalcars and they allow for printing of the booking confirmation in the language of the country and in English. This makes it clear that you have paid them for the higher insurance cover as part of the booking price and that they should not demand more - this has worked OK, so far...

Hi Steve, we just used Hertz last autumn - better deal on the comparison sites than directly. Think they wanted 500 Euro deposit on credit card - refunded at the end of the trip with no problem. Cost was just over £600 for 8 days. Hope this helps!
I think at that price you probably had the full insurance. That's more than I've paid anywhere apart from east Africa for 4WDs.

Dear all

Anyone had a good experience of hiring a car at Budapest airport? I'm reading lots of horror stories. I don't pay the ridiculous cost of no-excess insurance and pay for it through an independent company. I've read of hire car companies going for a really hard sell and even refusing to honour the prepaid booking with people doing that. Also people being told that this is always damage found and they will be charged. With an excess of Eur 2500 this is would be a source of stress even when insured by a third party.

Recommendations appreciated.
Hi Steve

I used a well known 'third party' insurance when hiring a car in Southern Africa, unfortunately we had a minor accident and the local car company immediately took a substantial amount direct from my account. It was a absolute nightmare to get my money back. This particular division of the third party UK well known insurance company were based in the Netherlands, there were no phone numbers and not once did I speak to a human being. It was all done on line when they would return my communications for seemingly dozens of times for unknown or petty reasons. I spent hours and hours online which went on for months and was quite stressful, eventually they paid up but minus nearly two hundred pounds for admin and reasons unexplained.
Never again.

regards
Merlin

I made my first claim from one this May. It took a month to get the money but there was no attempt to dispute anything. That was for £92 though rather than potentially 2500 Euros.

Dear Traveler,

It's great that you're taking a mindful approach to your car rental experience in Budapest. While I can't provide specific recommendations for car rental companies, I can offer some eco-conscious advice.

Consider researching and booking with car rental companies that have a reputation for fair and transparent practices. Read reviews from fellow travelers to get a sense of their experiences. Always carefully review the terms and conditions, especially concerning insurance and damage policies.

Remember, sustainable travel also involves responsible consumption. Choose a car that aligns with your environmental values, and opt for fuel-efficient or electric vehicles when possible to minimize your carbon footprint.

Safe travels and eco-friendly adventures in Budapest!

Best wishes, 🌍🚗💚
Well you'll be proud of me: I used only public transport during my four weeks in Hungary, Slovakia and Austria.

Dear Traveler,

I really wonder what is the point of this post? The question had nothing to do with ecology, why do you feel the need to jump in and give some completely empty advice - and then plug in an agenda that's not the topic of the thread? Do you understand that nobody is obliged to have "eco-friendly" adventures if they do not wish to?

Last edited:
I really wonder what is the point of this post? The question had nothing to do with ecology, why do you feel the need to jump in and give some completely empty advice - and then plug in an agenda that's not the topic of the thread? Do you understand that nobody is obliged to have "eco-friendly" adventures if they do not wish to?
I assumed it was a bot. New poster with a strange writing style. I haven't clicked on the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back