• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cardinal Lover (1 Viewer)

Janejax

United States
Hi!
I’ve had a bird feeder on a post that attracted many cardinals for years. A few weeks ago a bear knocked down the post. The post was replaced and we put the feeder back up a few days later but it was missing for about two weeks. The feeder has been up for close to a week now but the cardinals haven’t come back.
Will they return?

Hi Jane and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I do expect they will return eventually, but maybe there's plenty of natural food for them in the area just now.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. It might take a while for the birds to realise the feeder is back, so don't give up hope.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I would think they will be back, just give them some more time.

I love cardinals too! I'm lucky enough to have a pair or two live around my house every year.

They have spiritual signifance to a lot of people. Recently I overhead people talking in the hospital, I heard someone say "every time you see a cardinal it's someone deceased you loved coming to visit you today". They are spectacular birds, that's for sure.

One thing is different the old post was reddish brown, the new post is green, like the feeder. Does anyone think that makes a difference? Should I put a red ribbon or something on the post?

Hi Jane and a warm welcome to you ;)

I'd refrain from the red ribbon as the ribbon is something that the bird/s could tangle up with. It sometimes takes a few days for them to take on a new feeder so I'd give it a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back