• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carolina Wren? (1 Viewer)

deborahp

At first this bird looked like a fledging, but that seems unlikely this time of year (?) so perhaps it had a run-in with a predator. At first it was trying to prune its feathers, scratching on the bark of the log, and shaking itself as though it was wet, but then it started hopping around in the brush pile, possibly looking for bugs, then disappeared into the pile. Never saw it fly. The 5" measurement was taken on the log after it disappeared. It was found where woods meet open field in SW Missouri. Any guesses on what it is?

Attachments

• DSCF0768_2.jpg
    DSCF0768_2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF0762_3.jpg
    DSCF0762_3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF0767_2.jpg
    DSCF0767_2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF0769_2.jpg
    DSCF0769_2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 140
Thanks everyone! I've never seen one before and was confused by the apparent size and shape of the beak because of it being so wet.

I kind of thought it resembled a Bewick's primarily based on the tail that looked rather long in the pictures. I imagine the supercilium is too white and tail length is kind of up to the observer so I'll agree with the more experienced people with Carolina.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back