• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Castro Marim early April (1 Viewer)

Birdbox

staringin2thevoid
As a special treat for my non-birding fiancee, her birthday present this year is a week birding Castro Marim based across the road in Monte Gordo.

Anyone have the relevant gen that I'll, er I mean, she'll need regarding access, best bits, expectations etc.

She thanks you all in advance, don't I, hun?

IMO the area doesn't warrant a whole week - if you have a car you could spend half a day at one end around the visitor centre and another on the footpath between the main road to Monte Gordo and the salt works. I would have thought that with 2 days you should get all the birds at least onece or twice. It would be worth driving/bussing up to Mertola and spending time up there for large raptors, the bustards and much more.

What time of year will you be visiting?

Good advice from Simon, but seeing as you're going in early April you could well pick up a few migrants arriving, as well as breeding Lesser Short-toed Lark, Little Bustard, warblers, Great Spotted Cuckoo etc. at Castro Marim reserve area and along the road to the salt-works.

The coastal area between Altura and Praia Verde would also be worth a look (with your fiancée sunning herself on the beach here of course) for migrants.

A day trip to Tavira saltpans might well be worth it for any Audouin's and Slender Billed Gulls remaining from wintering here, plus waders etc migrating in.

Only just noticed "early April" in the title! Sorry.

All good advice for John, though I find Audouin's and Slender-billed are more or less guaranteed around Castro Marim - albeit sometimes distant - though its down to luck and these two can sometimes be very close to the footpath I mentioned.

Early April in the Mertola county and the neighbouring Castro Verde is a delight - be a shame not to get up there - less than an hour away.

I've done Mertola and environs a couple of times in the past and absolutely love the place.

Thing is, this is a week's hol mostly for my fiancee's benefit. I encouraged her to plump for Monte Gordo so that I'd have a 'local patch' that I could visit daily for a couple of hours without turning the whole week into a birdathon.

I'd have preferred the Alvor area but we fancied easy access into Spain this time.

There's nothing I particularly need bird-wise but would appreciate info on the accessibility of the place by bicycle/foot, are permits required? fee? particular bits to head for/avoid?

Anyone know who to contact in case of rare/scarce migrants at Castro Marim?

For rarities and the very scarce - to get the word out fast there is a yahoo email group, "raridades" - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/raridades/info - you would need to join up at least 24hrs before you can use it.

ebird is used by many in Portugal and is a good place to put interesting sightings. For example, if you were lucky enough to find the earliest ever Rufous Bush Robin it would be picked up and included in a project recording early and late migrants; "Chegadas".

Otherwise a post on here would get the news out pretty quickly!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back