• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cataracts and binoculars (1 Viewer)

Foss

United States
Well the fuzziness I am seeing in my FL 8x32s turned out to be cataracts, a recent eye exam revealed.
I'm wondering if any BF members are in the same boat. If anyone who has had the surgery wants to share their experience, it would be welcome.
PM me if you'd rather. Thanks.
~ Foss

Last edited:
I just had Cataracts removed on both eyes about a week ago. My vision like yours suddenly got fuzzy and blurry, so I had to have them removed. I got the Toric lenses because I have astigmatism, so I would be less reliant on glasses, or so they told me. I had Lasik about 20 years ago and since then have not needed spectacles, so I did not want to have to return to wearing glasses. My vision after the surgery is not quite as sharp as before, but it is brighter, but they say you need at least a month for your eyes to stabilize. In a month or two I will see how my vision is, and I will either get some cheap glasses or have a Lasik touch up if needed.

Everybody eventually gets Cataracts if you live long enough, and it is probably the most common surgery in the world, with 60,000 performed every day, so you are not alone. I paid out of pocket $1800 for the Toric lens upgrade, but it is no guarantee you will not need glasses, so you might be better off just getting the regular monofocal lenses that the insurance pays for and then plan on getting glasses or a Lasik tuneup later on. Cataract surgery is more involved than some people think, and it involves a LOT of eye drops! If you had Lasik in the past like I have, it is harder for the surgeon to get the correct prescription for your IOC lenses because Lasik reshapes the Cornea.

There are tons of different IOC lenses to choose from, so just tell your doctor what kind of vision you would like after the surgery, and then he will recommend a lens for you. It doesn't do any good to put off Cataract surgery because they will just get worse and quickly, and you will eventually go blind. Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness in the world. Since I am up on it pretty good because I just had Cataract surgery, if you have any questions, just let me know. Of course, the Internet is full of information on Cataracts, but I can share my experience with you.

Cataract surgery (with lens implants) is a big big deal.

Since vision deteriorates slowly, you really donโ€™t realize just how bad it is, until you get it fixed.

The biggest difference will be on the short (violet) end of the spectrum, due to getting rid of yellowed lenses.

The world will get much brighter, and when you drive at night, the light will stay where it is supposed to be, rather than scattering all over.

You will be able to see like a 12 year old again, barring any other pathology.

Obviously, I recommend it enthusiastically.

The worst part is the interval when they have only done one eye. It is disconcerting to walk around with one โ€œoldโ€ eye and one โ€œnewโ€ eye.

I hope you get as good a result as I did. Mine were done in 2008 or 2009, and I have monofocal implants.

Mine were done more than a year ago. I share the same experience and enthousiasme as Maljunulo shows.

I want to add that my vision now is sharp over any distance, so I almost do not need glasses. Almost, because reading in low light requires reading glasses with 1+.

Thanks for the great responses including those who contacted me offline. The more I learn the better I feel about making the right decision when the time comes.

The veMine were done more than a year ago. I share the same experience and enthousiasme as Maljunulo shows.

I want to add that my vision now is sharp over any distance, so I almost do not need glasses. Almost, because reading in low light requires reading glasses with 1+.
I had cataract surgeries in February (right eye) and March (left eye) with Toric lenses due to astigmatism and have experienced dramatic improvements in vision, i.e. greatly improved brightness, colour fidelity (no longer any yellow hued views like looking through Soviet binoculars all the time), and sharpness. If I had to nit-pick the only faults I find are: 1) if there is a bright light source at about a 90 degree angle to the eye, I will see a sliver of a crescent shaped reflection along one edge of the eye; and 2) if I turn an eye to the extreme right or left and then turn it back to center, a slight blur will occur for a second or two at the bottom of the field of view. These are not major concerns and seem to be rectifying over time. And the pleasure I get using binoculars has been greatly enhanced since the surgeries. Prior to surgery I had thought that some of the yellowness in views that I was seeing using binoculars was due to some fault of the binocular (AR coatings, degradation of balsam etc.) but now realize that it was on account of my cataracted eyes. The views through binoculars are now sharper with much improved colour fidelity.

Last edited:
They definitely get better over time - my mother's 1st one went fine - the 2nd one gave her problems for months, very upsetting at first, but now a couple years later it's working great.

I've always tried to keep sunglasses during the day to protect my eyes from UV but I'm sure I'll need this eventually

They definitely get better over time - my mother's 1st one went fine - the 2nd one gave her problems for months, very upsetting at first, but now a couple years later it's working great.

I've always tried to keep sunglasses during the day to protect my eyes from UV but I'm sure I'll need this eventually
Your implants may have UV filtration, mine do, your ophthalmic surgeon will know.

I wear sunglasses more than I used to, just because the world has gotten so much brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back