• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

caterpillar id please (1 Viewer)

spyro1972

hi guys i found this caterpillar in my work today wondered if you can id it for me.sorry about the poor quality pics.one end of it is sort of flat but pronged.

Attachments

• IMG_20121228_131847.jpg
    IMG_20121228_131847.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20121228_131853.jpg
    IMG_20121228_131853.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 76
I'm sorry but I don't think anyone will be able to hazard a guess from those pics.

When photographing insects, make sure your camera is in a macro setting (usually represented by a flower symbol) so that it can focus.

i appreciate you taking time to to reply, however if you take a peek in the gallery and search for my profile you will see im very well aware of what the symbols on my dslr are for and what they represent,,,( i hope you find my reply as condescending as i found yours)
ps.the pics posted were took with my phone hence the reference to the poor quality.

Well, it belongs to Noctuidae family but it will be very difficult to tell something more with some kind of certainty as there are bunch of similar brown coloured caterpillars which could be found at this time of year.

I usually try to check right away any close-up picture I take with my phone (since I don't trust it's focusing ability in such scenarios) - so I can retake it if the focus is off (not pushing phone too close to object etc.). Simply I've had a few too many disappointments after loading photos from my phone to PC - and looking at crap photos without any chance of improving them...
Cheers!

Last edited:
i appreciate you taking time to to reply, however if you take a peek in the gallery and search for my profile you will see im very well aware of what the symbols on my dslr are for and what they represent,,,( i hope you find my reply as condescending as i found yours)
ps.the pics posted were took with my phone hence the reference to the poor quality.

Well I'm sorry you were offended, but how was I supposed to know instantly at what level you were at in photography? All I could see were some very amateurish photos.

You've made me feel like an idiot for trying to help. Congrats.

Last edited:

Strange reply to someone who was doing no more than offering helpful advice. Can't find any evidence of condescension in Sean's reply.
best regards,
Jono

The original reply was purely condescending if only you had read it and not the edited version..
Wishing you all a happy new year.
Best regards

I dont want to get involved, but i did see the original post. have to agree with spyro. The original post has been edited.

Move on guys

Close the Thread

I assure you that nothing has been edited!

I'm prepared to let things lie.

My last post on this thread.

Have to back up Sean here: you can tell when a post has been edited as it says "Last edited..." at the bottom (see examples in this thread). Sean's post clearly hasn't been edited. Is it possible that someone else posted something "unhelpful" and then deleted it?

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back