• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central France Campervan Trip (1 Viewer)

Worth getting into Dragonflies and Damselflies if you aren't already.. even just take some pics, and work them out later. You can pretty much clear up all the rare southern England species, plus a few others

Day 10: 30/05

L'Etang Duris - first thing

I thought I heard a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker yesterday. Managed to track it down perched in some trees by small carp pools. Two Common Sandpipers were flying around the main lake. Species list this morning for the site as follows:

Hoopoes, Nightingales, Reed W, Sedge W, Cetti's Warbler, 11 Cattle Egrets, Golden Oriole, LT Tits, Purple Heron, Cuckoo, Song Thrush, Chiffchaffs, Garden Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Cuckoo, White Wagtail, Grasshopper Warbler, Corn Bunting, 2 Common Sandpipers, pair of Gadwall, Turtle Doves, Skylark, Whitethroat, Black Kite, Greylags, Woodlark, Blue-headed Wagtail, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Grey Heron.

Then decided to try Etang de la Cosse. En route saw a Red-backed Shrike on roadside wires, Corn Buntings, Stonechats, Turtle Doves, Buzzards, Blue-headed Wagtails and other stuff but I couldn't stop to look at then properly.

Etang de la Cosse:

Whiskered Terns, Sedge Warblers, Cattle Egrets, Great Crested Grebes, Little Egrets, Black Kites, Purple Heron, Short toed Eagle nearby.

Then thought I'd try to find Riaux lakes (not that easy, even with SatNav but definitely worth persevering as there is some muddy shoreline)

En route to riaux lakes Red-backed Shrike, 2 Red Deer, Cirl bunting.

Riaux Lakes

New for the trip were Redshanks and Ringed Plovers:

Lapwing, Little Egret, Coots, Mute Swans, GC Grebes, Black Kite, Cattle Egret, Cuckoo, Pochard, Tufted Duck , 17+ Redshanks, 5+ Common Sandpiper, 4 Ringed Plovers, Sedge W, Reed W, Purple Heron, Red-backed Shrike, Linnets, Zitting Cisticola, Turtle Doves, Nightingale, Black Kites, Corn Bunting, Whitethroat, Sand Martin, House Martins, Swallows, Shelduck, Kestrel, Gadwall, Melodious Warbler, White Wagtails, Mallards.

Then on to another 'Etang', where I was treated to the spectacle of 3 Wild Boar with 14 stripey youngsters and only my 2nd Honey Buzzard of the trip:

Etang de la Mer Rouge

Whiskered Terns, Zitting Cisticola Grey Heron, 3 Great White Egrets , Cuckoo, Black Kites, Black-headed Gulls, Shelduck, Com Buzzards, Little Egrets, Cattle Egret, Night Heron, Common Sandpiper, Honey Buzzard, Stonechat, Cetti's Warbler

3 adult Wild boar and 14 young

I stopped, en route to Le Blanc (where I'm staying this evening), briefly to see Large Whiskered Tern colony at km18 on the D27. A few other things there including a Great White Egret

Le Blanc: Rook, Swifts, House Martins, BH Gull, Jackdaws, Black Redstart

Last edited:
Day 11: 31/05

Had a look around the disused railway station at Le Blanc, which seems to've been converted into a park and then took a walk along the disused railway track over the viaduct - which gives stunning views of the area. I was very pleased to see a group of at least 6 Bee-eaters feeding just downstream of the viaduct, along the river Creuse. A species list of the area below:

Le Blanc disused railway station and surrounding area:

Nightingale, House Martins, House Sparrows, lots of Black Redstarts, 4+ Cirl Bunting, Swifts, Swallow, White Wagtail, Woodlark, Linnet, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Collared Doves, Rooks, Jackdaws, Robin's, Dunnock, Chiffchaff, Wren, Blackcap, Starlings, 6+ Bee eaters down river viewed from viaduct, Woodpigeon, Kingfisher, Cattle Egret, Kestrel, Cuckoo, Greenfinch.

I'm leaving La Brenne now and spending the next week or so in the Limousin region:

En route to Bussiere-Poitevine: Hobby and probable RB Shrike on a wire.

Bussiere-Poitevine (staying tonight in the free aire municipale) and surrounding area. Added Common Redstart to the trip list, with one pair plus one other female seen:

Serin, Black Redstarts, Goldfinch, House Sparrows, House Martins, Collared Doves, Common Whitethroat, Blackbirds, Nightingales, Jackdaws, 2 Woodlarks, Chiffchaff, Wren, Blackcap, Cuckoo, Chaffinch, singing Firecrest, Melodious Warblers, Blue Tit, Swallows, Grey Heron, 3 male Red-backed Shrikes, Starlings, LT Tits, 3 Common Redstarts, Song Thrush, Common Buzzard, Marsh Tit, Stonechat, Cirl Buntings, Black Kite, 2 Kestrels, 3 Golden Oriole, Turtle Doves, Woodpigeons, Short--toed Treecreeper, GS Woodpecker, Swift, Jay, Tree Pipit, Hoopoe, Corn Bunting

Young Red Deer and noisy Marsh Frogs

Just spent the evening watching 2 male Red-backed Shrikes hinting from bushes only 50 metres apart in a single field. One of my all-time favourite birds.

Also, I think this village is the Black Redstart capital of the world - they're everywhere!

Day 12: 01/06

A slower day today but I did get my first Little Owls and, more amazingly, my first Sparrowhawk of the trip.

Bussiere-Poitevine:

A Little Owl was calling early morning
It was raining first thing so I didn't linger and drove on to Nieul, just north of Limoges.
A Cuckoo and a Serin were also heard.

Nieul and surrounding areas:

I am staying in another free 'aire'.

A Little Owl was perched on a telegraph pole.
A Sparrowhawk circled over the camping area.

Blackbird, Great Tit, Cuckoo, Serins, House Martins, Swift, House Sparrows, 3 singing male Common Redstart, Chiffchaff, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Mallard, Chaffinch, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Nuthatch, Black Redstarts, Little Owl, Stonechat, Robin, Common Buzzard, Collared Dove, Kestrel, Jay, Blue Tit, singing Firecrest, Blackcaps, Grey Herons, Grey Wagtail, Sparrowhawk,
Common Whitethroat, Melodious Warbler, Turtle Dove, Moorhen, Cirl Bunting, GS Woodpecker, Common Whitethroat.

Good to see so many territorial Common Redstarts in the area.

This evening, I had good views of several Firecrests, including a family party

Day 13: 02/06 Heavy rain first thing then hot and sunny.

A circular walk mid morning between Nieul and Saint-Gence provided brilliant views of a Honey Buzzard.

Nieul to Saint-Gence

2 Nightingales, Melodious Warblers, Serin, Black Redstarts, Grey Herons, Mallards, Stonechats, Cirl Bunting, Cuckoo, Short-toed Treecreeper, Firecrests, Chiffchaffs, Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, Swifts, Swallows, House Martins, House Sparrows.

I'm staying with some friends near the village of Saint Jouvent for the next few days so the birding may be more limited. An evening stroll gave the following;

Cuckoo, Melodious Warbler, Black Redstarts, Kestrel, Buzzard, Firecrest, Nuthatches, Short-toed Treecreeper, Swift, Swallow, Chaffinches.

Day 13: 02/06 Heavy rain first thing then hot and sunny.

A circular walk mid morning between Nieul and Saint-Gence provided brilliant views of a Honey Buzzard.

Nieul to Saint-Gence

2 Nightingales, Melodious Warblers, Serin, Black Redstarts, Grey Herons, Mallards, Stonechats, Cirl Bunting, Cuckoo, Short-toed Treecreeper, Firecrests, Chiffchaffs, Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, Swifts, Swallows, House Martins, House Sparrows.

I'm staying with some friends near the village of Saint Jouvent for the next few days so the birding may be more limited. An evening stroll gave the following;

Cuckoo, Melodious Warbler, Black Redstarts, Kestrel, Buzzard, Firecrest, Nuthatches, Short-toed Treecreeper, Swift, Swallow, Chaffinches.
Very happily impressed by your sightings, as I was struck by the paucity of visible birds traveling through rural France by rail.
I'd assumed that French agriculture had become more chemicals and pesticide intensive, to the detriment of the bird population.
I

Very happily impressed by your sightings, as I was struck by the paucity of visible birds traveling through rural France by rail.
I'd assumed that French agriculture had become more chemicals and pesticide intensive, to the detriment of the bird population.
I

Hi Etudiant,

There is certainly a noticeable difference in the density of birds here in the Limousin compared to La Brenne national park. In La Brenne there were birds everywhere whereas here they take a lot more effort to find. I last visited this area of Limousin in 2017 and have notes for that visit - so it will be interesting to compare what I see over the next few days. Unfortunately, this morning it is raining very heavily (with thunder). Last night my French friend remarked on the lack of Swallows this year compared to normal.

Day 14: 03/06

Heavy rain first thing then dry and warm. Limited birding due to visit to Limoges from mid-morning. A walk around the small settlements near Saint-Jouvent was reasonably productive:

Saint Jouvent: Theillol - Villemazet

Stonechat, 2 Golden Orioles, Black Redstarts, pair of Red-backed Shrikes, 2 Woodlarks, singing Common Redstart, 3 or 4 Melodious Warblers, Marsh Tit, Cuckoo, Nuthatches, GS Woodpeckers, Firecrests, Wren, Blackcaps, Dunnock, Collared Doves, Swallows, Swifts, Kestrel, Mistle Thrush, Robin, Woodpigeons, Starlings, LT Tits.

2 Roe Deer

Last edited:
Day 15: 04/06 Fine and dry most of the day with a few rumbles of thunder and rain in the evening.

Saint-Jouvent area again (morning only):

Western Bonelli's Warbler, another (different) pair of Red-backed Shrikes, Tawny Owl, Cirl Bunting, singing Woodlark, Cuckoos, 2 Golden Orioles, Stonechats, Melodious Warblers, Firecrests, Grey Wagtail, Nuthatches, Black Redstarts, Short-toed Treecreeper, GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Song Thrush, Swallows, Swift, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Kestrel.

Honey Buzzard mid morning

Glad you are doing well. We've had a few similar trips thru France in our campervan. Ile D'Oleron was pretty good, with Scops Owl, Short toed Eagle, Melodious warbler etc. Aires de camping and the relatively quiet roads make it easy, but France is a massive country when driving thru it!

Scotland was also an enjoyable trip, but England can be hard work, especially nearer the coast. I've slept in some less than perfect places when birding East Anglia, and Kent!
Ha! spent part of my honeymoon under canvas on the Ile D'Oleron. Probably when the better half realised I was a bit of a birder! Short -toed Eagle and Black-winged Stilt a couple of highlights.

Day 16: 05/06 Foggy first thing and a few rain showers in the afternoon

Very little birding today - doing tourist stuff.
Did see a Black Kite and heard a Yellowhammer amongst the birds I did see.

Day 17: 06/06

I have left the Limousin now and headed about 100km west. I'm currently staying in a free 'aire' in a very quiet village called Vaux en couhé in Vienne. The facilities are very basic here but the auberge in the village does take-away pizza with 5 topping for €8 - bargain!

En route: RB Shrike on wires

Vaux en couhé, near Valence en Poitou:

The undoubted highlight was a flock of 6 Hawfinches this evening - a trip tick. A list of the birds seen in the area below:

Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Swift, Cirl Buntings, Blackcap, Melodious Warblers, Swallows, Collared Dove, Yellowhammer, Turtle Doves, Skylarks, Starlings, House Sparrows, GS Woodpecker, Black Kites, Common Buzzards, Song Thrush, Black Redstarts, Kestrels, Chaffinch, Hobby, Cuckoo, Jay, Linnets, Mistle Thrush, male Red-backed Shrike, Nightingale, Grey Wagtail, White Wagtail, Cetti's Warbler, House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Woodpigeons, Common Redstart, Chiffchaff, 6 Hawfinches, singing Firecrest, Mallards, Stonechats, Grey Heron, Common Whitethroat.

Also, quite a few Pyramidal Orchids in bloom in the area.

Marbled White butterfly

Last edited:
Day 18: 07/06

Today's highlights - a stunning male Hen Harrier first thing then 9 White Storks at the Marais Poitevin. Plus I nearly stepped on a Honey Buzzard that was feeding in grass by a ditch, a male Montagu's Harrier and a Large Tortoiseshell butterfly.

Vaux en couhé, Valence en Poitou - went for a walk first thing:

Serin, Cirl Bunting, Green Woodpecker, Turtle Doves, Skylark, LT Tits, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Cetti's Warbler, Grey Heron, male Hen Harrier, Swifts, Swallows, Grey Wagtail, Song Thrush, Red-backed Shrike, Mistle Thrushes, Short-toed Treecreeper, Yellowhammer , Marsh Tit, Melodious Warbler, Collared Doves, Linnets, Greenfinch, Nuthatch.

Then drove further west to the Marais Poitevin - just north-east of La Rochelle:

En route Corn Bunting, Zitting Cisticola, Turtle Dove, Stonechat, Yellowhammer, Skylarks
Montagu's Harrier quartering a crop field.

Stopped at Benet briefly for some provisions:

Benet: Serin, House Martins, House Sparrows

Then drove on to a free 'aire' at Le Mazeau, where I'm staying for the night. This village is in the Marais Poitevin - a large marshy area with canals, dykes and wooded areas.

Le Mazeau

Cattle Egrets, 8 Shelducks, Melodious Warblers, Turtle Doves, Swallows, Black Kite, House Martins, Black Redstarts, Serins, 2 Honey Buzzards, Chiffchaffs, Cetti's Warblers, Common Whitethroat, Chaffinches, Common Buzzards, Hoopoe, Grey Heron, 3 Nightingales, Purple Heron, White Stork (1 over La Sèvre plus one in a fnearby field plus 5 circling overhead + another 2 on the deck), Mallard, Zitting Cisticola, Wren, Song Thrush, GS Woodpeckers, Swifts, Blue-headed Wagtail, Mute Swan, Kestrel, Short-toed Treecreeper, Starlings, Jays, Moorhen, Kestrel, Yellowhammer, Cirl Bunting, Tawny Owl, Stone Curlew calling at dusk.

Large Tortoiseshell butterfly

3 Coypu

Day 19: 08/06

Left Le Mazeau pretty early and headed about 100km north to Lac de Grand Lieu - a huge lake near Nantes.

Le Mazeau first thing: Melodious Warbler, Nightingale, 9 Shelduck

En Route: 2 Crested Larks on the road, Nightingale heard, Cattle Egrets

St Philbert de Grand Lieu

Great White Egret, Common Tern, GC Grebe, Cattle Egrets, Cormorant, BH Gulls, Moorhens, Chaffinches, Starlings, Magpie, Serin, Robin, Chiffchaff

Passay, Le Chevrolière, Lac de Grand Lieu:

Staying in another free unofficial 'aire' right next to the lake.

Cetti's Warblers, Swifts, House Martins, House Sparrows, Cattle Egrets, Marsh Harriers, Coots, Zitting Cisticolas, Sedge Warblers, Reed Warblers, Black Kites, Little Egrets, 6 Spoonbills, lots of Whiskered Terns, GW Egret, Great Crested Grebes, Swallows, Cormorants, Mute Swans, Greylags, Lapwings, Black-headed Gulls, Reed Bunting, Water Rail, Black-winged Stilts, Shelduck, Great Black-backed Gulls, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Honey Buzzard, Purple Herons, Common Tern, Goldfinches, Night Herons, Blackcap.

Coypu
Marsh Frogs

Day 20: 09/06

Today's highlights: Glossy Ibises, a singing Bluethroat (unfortunately hidden in vegetation), a first summer Mediterranean Gull, a large mixed heronry near my camping area, Spoonbills, White Storks and quite a few Sacred Ibises (nice to see even though they're a bit 'plastic'). One flava Wagtail seen showed characteristics very similar to the UK flavissima race.

Started off at the Lac de Grand Lieu first thing.

Passay, Le Chevrolière, Lac de Grand Lieu

Blackcap, Cetti's Warbler, Chaffinch, Turtle Dove, Starlings, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Swallows, Collared Dove, GW Egret, Cuckoo, Black Kites, Grey Herons, Greylags, GC Grebes, BH Gulls, Whiskered Terns, Spoonbills, Cormorants, Coots, Swifts, Sedge Warbler, Water Rail, 2 Sacred Ibis, Cattle Egrets, Gadwalls, Zitting Cisticola, Marsh Harrier, Lapwings, Little Egrets, Magpies, Reed Warblers, Glossy Ibis, Woodpigeon, Great Tit, House Martins, Black Redstart, House Sparrows, Shelducks, Night Heron.

Then drove 80km to the Briere Marshes - a huge area of wetland which in France is second only to the Camargue in size.

Saint Joachim, Ile de Fedrun, Briere Marshes:

Chiffchaffs, Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Collared Doves, Cuckoos, House Sparrows, Song Thrushes, Blackbird, family party of Cetti's Warbler, Wood Pigeon, Cattle Egrets, Starlings, Whiskered Terns, Marsh Harriers, Cormorants, Grey Herons, Jackdaws, Yellow-legged Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Night Herons, Little Egrets, Reed Warblers, 12+ Sacred Ibises, Zitting Cisticolas, Swifts, Yellow Wagtail, Blue-headed Wagtails, 2 White Stork, 3 Glossy Ibis, 10+ Spoonbill, Purple Herons, Lapwings, Kestrel, Buzzard, Moorhen, Sedge Warblers, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Turtle Dove, Garden Warbler, Jay, Green Woodpecker, Kingfisher, Gadwall, 3 Redshank, Greylags, Black Kite, Coot, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Water Rail, singing Bluethroat, Mediterranean Gull, Grasshopper Warbler.

Marbled White
Coypu

Day 21: 10/06

Saint Joachim, Ile de Fedrun, Briere Marshes:

The undoubted highlight of the day: The male White-spotted Bluethroat seen very well singing away perched on top of reeds early morning. Also:

Night Herons, Little Egrets, Garden Warbler, Whiskered Terns, Reed Warblers, Grey Heron, Grasshopper Warbler, Sacred Ibis, Cattle Egrets, Cetti's Warblers, Spoonbills, Cattle Egrets , Cuckoo, Zitting Cisticola, Lapwing, Cormorant, Sedge Warbler, Mallard, Swift, Greylag, Carrion Crow, White Stork, LBB Gull, Woodpigeon, singing Bluethroat again - showing well, Yellow-legged Gull, Starlings, BH Gull, Marsh Harrier, Purple Heron, Greylags, Blue Tit, Common Buzzard, Moorhen, Chaffinch, Collared Dove, House Sparrows, Song Thrush, Jackdaws, Chiffchaff, Swallows, Black Kite

Then drove roughly 200km due north-east back towards Normandy:

Saint Jean sur Mayenne, Pays de Loire.

This is a pay site with showers and facilities (just €11.55 pn). A walk along the opposite side of the river produced a nice male Red-backed Shrike on wires beside the nearby fields. Several Cirl Buntings too.

Chaffinch, Robin, Green Woodpecker, Swift, Chiffchaff, Woodpigeons, Blackbird, Starlings, Cirl Buntings, House Martins, Kestrel, House Sparrows, White Wagtail, Carrion Crows, Marsh Tit, GS Woodpecker, Blackcap, Grey Wagtail, Blue Tits, Collared Dove, Jackdaws, Red-backed Shrike, Common Buzzard, Short-toed Treecreeper, Swallow, Goldfinches, Cuckoo, Cormorant, Song Thrush, Nuthatch.

An area near the campsite was quite good for insects:

Hummingbird Hawk Moth
Marbled Whites
Meadow Browns
Small Heath
Beautiful Demoiselles

And had loads of Deptford Pinks - a plant which is rare in the UK but just happens to be found on my local patch back at home 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back