• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cetaceans - Aberdeen and beyond (2 Viewers)

Nice pics, and pretty gripping!

Thanks for the link. Common dolphin is on my radar for the ness - and it would have been my 8th spp of cetacean from there had I been around. Luckily I can blame missing them on being on holiday and not being half asleep!

Report from Hayley, a vounteer doing suraveys on the Northlink freight boat between Aberdeen and Lerwick

First 2014 Summer Season Survey
As the ship left the harbour on 27th May we were greeted by a number Aberdeen’s frequent visitors, bottlenose dolphins, 4 adults and 1 juvenile. What a great way to start my first survey on-board North Link ferries. Although the sea state and swell weren’t the greatest conditions for sightings cetaceans, we stuck at it late into the night. Unfortunately, we didn’t manage to see any whales, dolphins or porpoise, although we did catch sight of numerous seabirds, including gannets, kittiwakes and guillemots.
The next day started very early, with a 3:30am rise. As we arrived on the bridge of the ship it was clear that surveying wasn’t going to be possible. Thick fog meant that visibility was down to a mere 100 or so yards. On the up side, the boat seemed steady, a sign of good sea conditions. Whilst the ship was in harbour and its cargo being reloaded the weather perked right up and it turned into a beautiful day with clear skies and a glassy sea, perfect sighting conditions! As we left Lerwick harbour, conditions were near to perfect for surveying, as a result we caught sight of a solitary harbour porpoise travelling in front of the ship. Not long after our first sighting while we were enjoying the beautiful evening sunset we sighted a minke whale, no need for binoculars on this one! The minke was spotted not far from the coast, near to Sumburgh Airport. For the rest of the evening conditions stayed good and we managed to record another harbour porpoise before night fell.
Another early morning commenced at 4:30am on the 29th, we were not far from Aberdeen by this time, around Peterhead, and with killer whales sighted around here in the days previous we were on high alert. Unfortunately no orcas this time, plenty more time to catch sight of them yet! As the survey came to an end and the ship closed in on Aberdeen harbour, the regular bottlenose dolphins were there to welcome us back. This time we had 8 individuals playing in the ships wake. A great way to end the first NORCET summer survey of 2014, hopefully many more successful surveys to come this year!

First morning back in Aberdeen today and was greeted by 15 BND hunting in the twilight at the harbour. Happy New Year

Ian

First morning back in Aberdeen today and was greeted by 15 BND hunting in the twilight at the harbour. Happy New Year

Ian

I was on the esplanade lunchtime on the 8th after nailing the Harlequin and had a bunch at the harbour mouth. Definitely Happy New Year, and Happy Birthday to me as well!

John

I found a dead Common Dolphin on the beach south of Rattray Lighthouse today.
Sadly I've never seen a live one up here.
It has been reported to strandings.

Attachments

• IMG_9525 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9525 (Large).jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9526 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9526 (Large).jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 66
Non stop dolphin action at the harbour now. Spent last Thursday filming with the One Show, had dolphins around harbour for 8hours however seamed to be feeding on small fish not usual salmon.

Ian

I'm Harlequining again on Friday: in case that goes swimmingly well straight away, what's the best place in Aberdeen to get close views of the dolphins? Post code for satnav appreciated if poss!

Cheers

John

I'm Harlequining again on Friday: in case that goes swimmingly well straight away, what's the best place in Aberdeen to get close views of the dolphins? Post code for satnav appreciated if poss!

Cheers

John

Torry Battery would be the best spot (AB11 on Greyhope Road). They're around most of the time at the moment. Otters have also been seen here regularly of late.

If they're not off the battery, try a little further round the headland and into Nigg Bay. As it looks like it might be quite calm, harbour porpoise should be pretty easy from the foghorn too. No-one has had a wheatear here yet so if you get one of them let us know!

Just a note to say that Aberdeens Urban Dolphins were on the one show last night but only in England. If interested they are at about 19mins

Orcas in the news at the moment. Seen last week at Fraserburgh then yesterday at Cullen Bay and Portknockie.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back