• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cetti’s Warbler? (1 Viewer)

Hi there,
Today I saw a bird in my garden that looked like a cetti’s warbler when i’ve looked in my rspb bird book and then on google images.
It was roughly the size of a robin, pale brown with a slightly darker brown head. I did notice it had an orangey tail.
It was alone and just sitting on the garden wall in plain sight. This is the second time I have seen this bird. Last time I saw it, I thought it was a female blackcap.
I should add that I don’t think my garden or neighbours gardens are very bird friendly. Theyre mostly paving slabs and decking, no trees. The roadworks out the back of our garden mean all the trees have been cut down. From reading the rspb guide, it said Cetti’s warblers are hard to see and hand out in dense bushes near wetlands and marshlands. Across the road there is a wooded nature reserve and there is a lane full of trees out the front of the house and we are less than a mile from plymbridge woods.
So I thought this bird looked like a cetti’s warbler but wasn’t sure if it could be something else as I wasn’t sure it completely matched the description of where it hangs out etc

Yes, I think it makes sense with the description plus that the bird has appeared since the massive roadworks and construction site has been there.
It may have been attracted to the construction site - or may even have been using the previous structures which have now been pulled down and have therefore lost their winter feeding ground - their traditional ‘natural’ habitat is rocky landscapes/crags/mountainous areas so they rely on stony habitat for feeding but also inconjunction with vertical structures - I use to see them regularly around the power station where I lived before and also on the coast.

some background

PS If you see it again try a get a photo - (or if it looks like this, send me a private message immediately 😁https://ebird.org/species/sibjay1)

Just as an FYI, the photo here is a female Common Redstart - Google just picked a random photo from the article. An actual Black Redstart would be darker smokey-grey.
I suspect the link didn’t quite work, the ones underneath look like Black Redstart to me so presumably there are several images on that page?

It may have been attracted to the construction site - or may even have been using the previous structures which have now been pulled down and have therefore lost their winter feeding ground - their traditional ‘natural’ habitat is rocky landscapes/crags/mountainous areas so they rely on stony habitat for feeding but also inconjunction with vertical structures - I use to see them regularly around the power station where I lived before and also on the coast.

some background

PS If you see it again try a get a photo - (or if it looks like this, send me a private message immediately 😁https://ebird.org/species/sibjay1)
Thank you for the info! Unfortunately I haven’t seen it again yet. I hope she visits again soon. Is the Siberian Jay one that people get bleeped about?! Good luck 🤞🏽

Just as an FYI, the photo here is a female Common Redstart - Google just picked a random photo from the article. An actual Black Redstart would be darker smokey-grey.
Thanks for letting me know! I’ve just found a picture of an actual black redstart female. I just got excited by the orange tail on the picture. I hope i see it again and get a picture next time.

The bird was just in my garden a couple of minutes ago. I quickly grabbed my husbands proper camera but it was out of battery 😭😭😭😭 So the best I could do was take a pic on my phone through my binoculas. They aren’t very good pictures and I didn’t get the orangey tail undortunately.

Attachments

• FFEDDE36-C9A7-4F84-AB5D-6DC21F666527.jpeg
    FFEDDE36-C9A7-4F84-AB5D-6DC21F666527.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 42
  • ACB3D238-2815-4705-96B9-97715459453E.jpeg
    ACB3D238-2815-4705-96B9-97715459453E.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 42
A couple more rubbish photos 😂😅

Attachments

• 4A3161E1-A2CE-4443-B1A8-36E96B6E3753.jpeg
    4A3161E1-A2CE-4443-B1A8-36E96B6E3753.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 5A100998-3338-4D5B-91B8-3BC01FA56054.jpeg
    5A100998-3338-4D5B-91B8-3BC01FA56054.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Hi Nicole

Well done! A Black Redstart indeed.

Yes, a Siberian Jay would set a few bleepers off and you would have found a large audience when you looked out of you window 😁
Haha imagine having 50 birders outside my back gate. I think my noisy neighbours would scare all the siberian jays away before anyone arrived.
Ah wow, glad you were able to confirm it was a black redstart! A new one for my list 🥰

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back