• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheddar Reservoir,UK,Lesser Scaup, thoughts? (1 Viewer)

JCB1980

Hi all,

Had this bird today, looks good for lesser scaup to me 1st winter male. Head shape fits, bill tip seems to fit too, bill width unable to use as an ID point.

Thoughts please?

Thanks

James

Attachments

• ls 2.jpg
    ls 2.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 329
I agree with Lesser Scaup, after from the points you have already made, I can add that the vermiculation looks fairly coarse and although no nail is visible, it suggests it isn't a hybrid as they tend to have the whole tip black. Also the lack of white around the bill, although not conclusive, tends to favour Lesser.

The head peak isn't as strong as I usually see for lesser and the head isn't as rounded as a greater. But it's a hard call to make sometimes, especially since you can't see the nail of the bill well.

If I saw it over here, I'd probably call it a lesser (which is more common where I live), or if I was feeling wimpy, scaup sp.

Features fit first-winter drake Lesser Scaup.

LS has fine flank vermiculations. These may be present but blurred out in this photo?

Do you have any other shots?

Ideally want to see wingbar to rule out hybrid 100% but it looks perfect for Lesser Scaup 1st winter male to me, definately isn't Greater

Images showing more detail today suggest otherwise, see here

...which shows that caution is needed when claiming a lesser scaup. many hybrid variants have an affinis-like head and james packer, the author of then blog correctly labels it as a "Lesser Scaupalike". I think it's a (greater?) scaup x tufted duck, fine barring of new scaps suggesting marila, bill pattern and short tuft suggesting fuligula.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back