• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

Yesterdays news - 3 Caspian, 3 Iceland and 3 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Glaucous, Iceland and Med Gull at Sandbach; Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Sand Martins and 3 Willow Tits at Moore NR; Bittern, Lesser Spotted Woodepcker and Sand Martin at Budworth; 3 Sand Martins at Hilbre; White Wagtail and 3 Stonechats at West Kirby Shore; White Wagtail and Greenshank at Leasowe;

CB

Today - Glaucous Gull at Sandbach; Bittern at Budworth; Snow Bunting at Leasowe; 192 Brent Geese, 4 Little Gulls and White Wagtail at Hilbre; Up to 3 Wheatears at Red Rocks, West Kirby shore and Meols; single Sand Martins over Hoylake and West Kirby;

CB

2 Wheatear, 1 White Wagtail and 5 Stonechat between Red Rocks and West Kirby first thing this morning and 2 Brown Hare and 37 Black-tailed Godwit on the Langfields.

Chris

Today - Sandwich Tern reported at Hilbre; 4 Avocets at Inner Marsh Farm (Sand Martin and 2 Wheatears there y’day); 2 Wheatears, White Wagtail and 5 Stonechats at West Kirby Marsh; several Little Gulls off Hoylake; 2 Tree Sparrows at Red Rocks;

CB

Good views of male lesser-spotted woodpecker at Moore early pm. Bird was on the "usual" tree near the boardwalk. Nice to hear it calling a few times too.
Also,a couple of virtually complete summer-plumaged Med gulls on Pumphouse.

Could you give us a pointer to this "usual" tree, I have tried our local spot where Lesser Spotted Woodies have been seen but not even seen any Woodpecker there let alone a LSW.

Cheers

Tim.

Could you give us a pointer to this "usual" tree, I have tried our local spot where Lesser Spotted Woodies have been seen but not even seen any Woodpecker there let alone a LSW.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Gronk,
You walk down lapwing lane from the carpark (towards the feeding station in the woods). Go past the hide on the left looking over the lake. After about another 50 yards there are paths through gates on both sides of the road . Take the path to the left and in about another 50 yards there is a path that goes down on the right across a small boardwalk. The LSW is seen fairly often in this area - there is one obvious woodpecker-holed stump that it favours.
Regards, Bill.

Today - Little Ringed Plover and Green Sandpiper at Rixton; 10 Waxwings at Higher Poynton plus 50 at Lymm and 23 at Mickle Trafford;

Yesterday – 15+ Waxwings at Higher Sutton; 2 Green Sandpipers at Rixton;

CB

Hi Gronk,
You walk down lapwing lane from the carpark (towards the feeding station in the woods). Go past the hide on the left looking over the lake. After about another 50 yards there are paths through gates on both sides of the road . Take the path to the left and in about another 50 yards there is a path that goes down on the right across a small boardwalk. The LSW is seen fairly often in this area - there is one obvious woodpecker-holed stump that it favours.
Regards, Bill.

Cheers Bill, will hopefully be able to pop on Sunday to try my luck.

Tim.

Today - 4 Willow Warblers and Greenshank at Leasowe; 10 Avocets, 2 Sand Martins, 3 Spotted Redshanks and a Hen Harrier at Inner Marsh Farm; 2 Iceland Gulls at Richmond Bank; 2 Common Scoters and Bittern at Budworth; 8 Sand Martins at Houghton Green Flash; Wheatear at Neston;

Yesterday - White Wagtail at Hilbre;

CB

Cheers

Tim.

are you opening your eyes i've seen greater spotteds before i've even got out of the carpark there, on the other hand the lessers did take a whole 12 hour trudge to find last year.

good luck

are you opening your eyes i've seen greater spotteds before i've even got out of the carpark there, on the other hand the lessers did take a whole 12 hour trudge to find last year.

good luck

Didn'y mean I have not seen GSW at Moore just the LSW.
There meant to be a place closer to where I live that has LSW but when ever I have given the area a good bashing I come away not even seeing any type of woody. :-C
So I am hoping that Moore will give me more of a chance in seeing one.

Tim.:-C

Todays news - 2 Iceland Gulls at Richmond Bank; 4 Avocets, Hen Harrier and 3 Spotted Redshanks at Inner Marsh Farm;

Yesterday - Wheatear, 2 Sand Martins, 10 Purple Sandpipers and 250 Meadow Pipits at Hilbre;

Recently reported at Rostherne Mere:- Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Marsh Harrier, Common Scoter and Sand Martin;

CB

event at Gatewarth/Richmond Bank...

To coincide with a 9.7 metre tide and as part of the River Watch series of events, we will be meeting at 10am for an early start on the construction and placing of bee boxes.

Bees are in national decline and alarming statistics have brought the worldwide plight of the Honey Bee to the attention of many. If you want to help in a practical way, why not have a go at building a bee house – experts will be on hand and all materials and instructions provided. We will then site the homes for maximum benefit during the coming year.

As a bonus, we will encounter the spectacular sights and sounds of a high tide: thousands of gallons of water bringing with them a wildlife treat. As the water rises, small mammals will be displaced which may bring in all kinds of predators. Foxes, merlins and short eared owls have been observed before; what will we get on the day?

To book a place please contact; ARTERY OF LIFE OFFICER, [email protected]
Or telephone 01928 583917

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back